Blinking Green Light - cannot upload - dammit

sandcaker

Hi All,

I'm on a tough deadline for a project and have now found a flashing green light next to the memory card slot area.

I cannot upload nor will my Mac detect that the D3 is hooked up to my laptop.

Does anyone know what this means???? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sarah

PavementPilot

If you can see the card in the reader, then the card is still good and we need to trouble shoot down the line. I would try a different cord from the computer to the camera, to eliminate a bad cord. If that doesnt do it, then I would do a card and battery pull on the body. Leave it for 10 to 15 seconds and reinsert, and try again. If that doesnt fix it, I would suspect a problem in the body.

sandcaker

yay! i popped in one card in my reader and i'm now uploading images.
i left the other card in the D3. i turned the camera on/off. it's still blinking.
hmmmmm

sandcaker

oh wait, there's something weird happening.

i uploaded MOST of the images but some reason, i am not allowed to upload the balance of the images. what is this??

sandcaker

no, i did not do anything. i'm just doing a basic upload through iPhoto.

i have not locked anything. strange. i'm trying all sorts of things. i'm going to try to manually pull them off the card right now. give me a minute.

sandcaker

ok, so this is very strange. when i go to open up the card on my computer desktop, i get this image. (see attached)

am i screwed? it's so strange because i see the images pop up on my iPhoto program but i cannot seem to find the actual hi-res file. Screen shot 2011-07-06 at 12.23.57 PM.png

PavementPilot

I would suspect a corrupt card, but I am not 100% sure on that feeling. There are a few Mac users here, I am hoping they can help quickly enough for you. Sorry.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Which card are you using? Some of them come with a recovery disk so that you can supposedly recover your pics. Was it writing to the card while you were shooting?

Sorry for your troubles. Good luck.

sandcaker

oh wow. i think i'm in for it. i had my whole portugal/spain trip on this.

my card is a Lexar Professional UMDA, 4GB, 300x speed, compact flash.

i will look for that backup. thanks! *sniff*

ohkphoto

Snow White
Ouch. I feel for you. I just lost some photos because of a corrupt drive . . . didn't back up enough. I won't make that mistake again :-(

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you put the card back in the camera, can you see your pictures? This would be the first thing I would check BEFORE playing around with recovery programs.

Carolina Photo Guy

oh wow. i think i'm in for it. i had my whole portugal/spain trip on this.

my card is a Lexar Professional UMDA, 4GB, 300x speed, compact flash.

i will look for that backup. thanks! *sniff*

First, before you get too carried away, take the card to a local computer store and see if you can upload the images to a WINDOWS based system.

Second, if the images can be uploaded, burn them to a dvd.

My gut feeling is that the card needs to be re-formatted in the camera. When you do that, assign a unique name to the file folder. This acts as an impromptu

partition on the card. That way you limit the amount of damage done by a faulty card.

Hope this helps.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Have you tried putting a different card in your camera? Maybe some images are left in the buffer and the camera needs to write them somewhere.
Just throwing something else out there. Keep us posted.

Snap Happy

May I ask, did you have another card in the second card slot? One of the reasons I have (and prefer) shooting with the D3 for my important shoots is the dual card slot. Or did you just have one card in?

The rest of the advice I could give you, I see my learned colleagues have already given to you. :)

Best of luck my friend, I hope you can recover the images. I hate when a card decides to play up. But that is what I suspect has happened to you. :(