"Flat" Images

orangelion03

I recently inherited my late father's D50, my first digital SLR. Obviously, the learning curve is steep and I'm working my way through the camera's capabilities. The one significant issue I am having is images that are very "flat"...dull colors, little contrast, etc. (see below) I shoot mostly in Program mode as I like to use a lot of fill flash. Images are recoverable using an image processing program, but I know there must be something I need to adjust to make the images sharper and brighter direct from the camera. I've used a Coolpix 5700 for many years and the images from that camera are outstanding. I recall my father discussing how he had to make adjustments in the camera for realistic flesh-tones so there must be some settings I can tinker with. Maybe something as simple as setting the white balance?? I have to admit that I have not done any image comparison between shooting in Program versus Auto.

Any comments and advice is welcome, or even direction to articles on the web that deal with this and similar issue.

TIA!

R. Arance

camera image
d50photo1.jpg

auto-balance correction
d50photo2.jpg

Last edited: