F6 Repair options

Wolfeye

So, I dug my "nearly mint" F6 out of storage this weekend, only to discover the aperture control tab/lever was messed up. It sticks, so you'd take a picture and the viewfinder gets darker and often can't autofocus. I tried some limited bending/prodding to see if I can get it back into place, but no luck.

It needs repaired.

First thing I did was go to Nikon itself, and the estimate is $200. Fair enough, but I'd hate for an "estimate" to turn out to be an actual bill of $500. How accurate are these estimates, does anyone know? Are there other options than Nikon? This seems like a relatively simple thing to fix but the disassembly would be tricky for an amateur.

Horoscope Fish

So, I dug my "nearly mint" F6 out of storage this weekend, only to discover the aperture control tab/lever was messed up. It sticks, so you'd take a picture and the viewfinder gets darker and often can't autofocus. I tried some limited bending/prodding to see if I can get it back into place, but no luck.

It needs repaired.

First thing I did was go to Nikon itself, and the estimate is $200. Fair enough, but I'd hate for an "estimate" to turn out to be an actual bill of $500. How accurate are these estimates, does anyone know? Are there other options than Nikon? This seems like a relatively simple thing to fix but the disassembly would be tricky for an amateur.
Who quibbles over $200 when discussing repair of an F6? If it were mine I wouldn't hesitate to have Nikon give it anything it asked for!

In my experience they'll replace the faulty part entirely, do a Fluff & Buff on the exterior and charge you the $200. Of course if things go sideways and they find additional things wrong then all bets are off, but that would be the case anywhere you take the camera. It will be up to you to have any additional repairs done either way.

Horoscope Fish

Quibble? I was asking for people to share their experience. Have you ever sent an F6 in to Nikon for repair?
Easy hoss, I was joking.

And in the 15 years I've worked at this job with a photography department of 12 full time photography instructors, another 10 or 12 part-time photography instructors, and thousands of photography students, yes... I've seen a few F6's sent in to Nikon for repair.

Wolfeye

Easy hoss, I was joking.

And in the 15 years I've worked at this job with a photography department of 12 full time photography instructors, another 10 or 12 part-time photography instructors, and thousands of photography students, yes... I've seen a few F6's sent in to Nikon for repair.

I wasn't angry. I just wanted to know if you yourself had sent an F6 in for repair. :)

I don't have the $200 right now anyway.