Drone video

Ruidoso Bill

Is anyone doing drone videography for commercial purposes ie real estate photography? I am reading the FAA is restricting the use of drones and video, what is this country coming to? Curious if anyone has any experience in this subject?

fotojack

I do aerial photography withmy buddy Andy here in Calgary. We go all over the province, and even out of province, to shoot commercial projects with an 8 prop octocopter and a D800. He flies, I shoot. :) We're restricted by Transport Canada as to height and distance from any airport (5 miles), location (country vs city). When in restricted or tight areas, we use a 43' mast with a remote controlled gimbal. Again, he controls the camera/gimbal...I shoot. :)

I think rules and regulations are necessary to fly these things just because of the safety required to fly and control these things. They can be very dangerous in inexperienced hands....and we all know how some people like to operate 'outside the law', as it were. :)
The company has to have mandatory insurance, and yes, we have to be licenced to operate, too.

New Heights Aerial Photograp

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I can understand some restrictions if by an airport or if a vehicle
Can achieve great heights or speed but in rural settings with limited height/range devices it seems to me the restrictions have more to do with control and who makes the $. I am thinking more like ranch, driveway shots, in the
Barn etc shots.

A lot of people are doing it and the rules are a little vague. The ones that I know just don't do stupid things and no one gives them any trouble.

And I do shoot but not for money.

Ruidoso Bill

Well I get to play with one (a drone) on Wednesday, should be fun. It is a AR something, not a real expensive one about $400, I also get to play with a gopro same day, my friend has both so should be a good afternoon. Many of the properties I shoot are set back a long way from the road. I thought it would be neat to do a drive up to the house with video, then my usual still photography inside and outside the property. I guess I still have some 60's rebellion left, hate most gov't rules which do nothing more than grow and maintain the bureaucracies.

Last edited: