Lion cub.(To tone map or not to tone map)

Blacktop

I'm leaning toward the non tone mapped version.

Cincinnati Zoo--28.jpg

Cincinnati Zoo--29.jpg

Elliot87

I call a 1 exposure HDR tone mapped because 1 exposure is not exactly a HDR image.

Ah ok. So which is which here? It might be obvious but not to me. It does look like your Nikkor 70-300 is sharper than my Tamron at 300mm wide open. I never shoot mine there anymore because the results are much better stopped down and nearer to 250mm.

Blacktop

Ah ok. So which is which here? It might be obvious but not to me. It does look like your Nikkor 70-300 is sharper than my Tamron at 300mm wide open. I never shoot mine there anymore because the results are much better stopped down and nearer to 250mm.

The top one is the tone mapped version.

Needa

Challenge Team
I like the color on the cats face in the first shot. Maybe you could use an inverse graduated density filter to tone down the hot spots on the cat and area it is resting on. A thought anyway.

Fred Kingston

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the "emperor" comment.

Old time children's story... The emperor was convinced that the NEW suit was gorgeous... the tailor made no suit...When he wore his new suit in the parade before the commoners everyone complimented him on his new beautiful suit because everyone was afraid to displease the Emperor... A small innocent child watched with glee... and blurted out..."The Emperor has no clothes."

It's become a common cliche when folks think they see something that isn't there... Don't take offense... I was just commenting because more than one person didn't see a difference between the two images you posted...

Felisek

I think the picture has enough details and contrast, so no tone mapping is necessary. I often use various types of tone mapping (e.g. Tonal Contrast or Pro Contrast/Dynamic in Nik Tools) to enhance dull and bland photos. Yours isn't dull at all.

J-see

I occasionally use tone-mapping in RT to pull detail but it doesn't work with all shots since it is applied all over the shot and often makes the background appear dirty/noisy.