lens for travel

mikeh32217

I just purchased a D5000 not long ago and absolutely love it.
In a few weeks I'm going to start traveling extensively and I am considering getting a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 lens. I have the 18mm-55mm lens that came with the camera and want to know if it will fit the bill or would the 35mm be better for an all around lens.

Thanks

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Re: NewB Lens question

Hey Mike - welcome to Nikonites!

I have the 35mm and, to be honest, it wouldn't be good for travel. The 35mm is better for portraits and things where you don't have to move a lot. For travel you need a more flexible zoom.

Depending on your budget and what you plan on taking pics of, I would take a look at the 10-24mm ($800 - good if you're taking pics of buildings and/or landscapes - see my blog)

Or if you want something with more zoom check out the 18-105mm ($365) or 18-200mm ($600). With either of these lenses you wouldn't need to bring the 18-55.

Keep in mind that Sigma and Tamron make similar lenses that are similar in focal length that are usually 1/2 to 3/4 of the cost of nikkor lenses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

If you can afford it, the 18-200 VR is a great lens for travel. It will do wonders. Check out my gallery and Mallorca pictures. It was the only lens I had with me and made great shots.

mikeh32217

Hey Mike - welcome to Nikonites!

I have the 35mm and, to be honest, it wouldn't be good for travel. The 35mm is better for portraits and things where you don't have to move a lot. For travel you need a more flexible zoom.

Depending on your budget and what you plan on taking pics of, I would take a look at the 10-24mm ($800 - good if you're taking pics of buildings and/or landscapes - see my blog)

Or if you want something with more zoom check out the 18-105mm ($365) or 18-200mm ($600). With either of these lenses you wouldn't need to bring the 18-55.

Keep in mind that Sigma and Tamron make similar lenses that are similar in focal length that are usually 1/2 to 3/4 of the cost of nikkor lenses.

Thanks for the feedback.
To tell you the truth was a little worried about the ruggedness of the 35mm anyway read a lot of posts about weak case.
I bought a refurbished 55mm-200mm w/o VR but haven't had a chance to use it much, what is your take on this lens? Does the VR really necessary?

Curt

Get the 55-200mm. It's light and fairly cheap to buy.
I have one and have taken it overseas,it worked very nicely.
It will be a perfect match to your 18-55mm.

mikeh32217

I just recently purchased the 55-200mm but haven't had the opportunity to really spend time with it.
I have taken a lot of photos over the years but am really loving the D5000. My last was a N6006
but didn't learn a lot because couldn't afford the development cost.

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Mike, all the comments made about the various lenses are accurate these people know what they are talking about. I've travelled around the country extensively. Everyone will have their favorite lens that works for them. It all depends on your style of shooting and what you like. That's why there so many different lenses on the market. I travel with five lenses and the one I go to most often is the 18-105mm Nikkor zoom. Over the years I've taken many thousands of shots with it and have never been disappointed with the results.

Joseph Bautsch

Mike, I see in your last post that you have a 55-200mm zoom. I have several suggestions to make. Make it a general rule to keep the shutter speed above the longest reach of the lens. In this case 200mm keep a shutter speed of 1/200 +. In using the lens you will be zooming in and out to get the shot and may not have time to change shutter speeds to prevent camera shake. If your lens has VR don't use it unless you have to shoot below a 1/200+ shutter speed.

Curt

I just recently purchased the 55-200mm but haven't had the opportunity to really spend time with it.
I have taken a lot of photos over the years but am really loving the D5000. My last was a N6006
but didn't learn a lot because couldn't afford the development cost.

Well if you have the 18-55mm. & the 55-200mm. you should be good to go. That should cover all your range, and you will be able to travel fairly light...lol.