Nikon D 810 Sports/action

Ruidoso Bill

I use mine for everything, some will say it needs more fps but it works for me. One thing is get fast memory cards, it does take a bit of time if you are shooting raw especially, to write to the card.

jay_dean

Of course. Doesn't have the buffer of a D4, and not quite as good iso, but a much better all round camera with the right lens

Blacktop

Not to derail the thread, but also a D810 question. If I use it in crop mode do I still get a better low light performance( Cleaner high ISO) than the D7100?

Woodyg3

Contributor
Not to derail the thread, but also a D810 question. If I use it in crop mode do I still get a better low light performance( Cleaner high ISO) than the D7100?

I know the D7100 will give better sharpness than the D810 cropped, I've seen test shots on the web the prove this. I would suspect the images might be a little less noisy, as well. Hopefully someone who actually owns both cameras will chime in. :)

J-see

Crop mode on an FX is just a portion of the sensor that makes it into your (smaller) shot. It doesn't change anything else.

Blade Canyon

Make sure your RAW settings are 12 bit Lossless Compressed, not 14 bit uncompressed. The first is a 35mb file, and the second is a 75mb file. If you are shooting quickly, the 14 bit uncompressed takes much longer to write to the SD cards.

Ruidoso Bill

Make sure your RAW settings are 12 bit Lossless Compressed, not 14 bit uncompressed. The first is a 35mb file, and the second is a 75mb file. If you are shooting quickly, the 14 bit uncompressed takes much longer to write to the SD cards.

I have set mine for the 12 bit and lossless compressed and can't see any difference versus 14 bit uncompressed, shots on a 32GB card jump up from 398 to 520. Works like a champ.

Ron Carlson

Just the thread I'm looking for. I was looking to upgrade my D7100 to full frame. I love shooting sports and was looking at the D750 due to being almost the same camera (as in pixels and FPS). I saw an article about the D750 and D810 and they say the buffer is bigger in the D810 at only 5 FPS. see chart https://photographylife.com/nikon-d750-buffer-capacity. The chart states the 810, in 14 bit RAW uncompressed buffer is 28 compared to the 750's 15 at 6.5 FPS and the 810 can essentially shoot 2.5 times longer than the 750. So my D7100 with Lexar 600x SD cards can shoot to 6 pics then slows down significantly in 14 bit RAW. I'm curious as to the 810's? Does anyone have one of the fastest CF cards and tested hammering the trigger and counted the number of sustained pics before the buffer slows it down? Is there a significant increase shooting RAW S?

maverick1963

i have been shooting the Scandisk extreme32 GB and I shoot in burst mode. I have never actually counted the frames but i have run out of space on the CF during a game. And that's shooting in RAW