Will Nikon ever upgrade D3300 firmware?

mystic7

I've been doing some research on new cameras for the purpose of possibly upgrading from my D3300, but to tell you the truth, this camera is still a monster. Newer Nikon's still use the Expeed4 processor, sensor's are the same, noise levels aren't improved. In short the only reason to upgrade is the ability to load picture profiles. Also an articulating screen but with my poor eyesight I picked up a magnifying viewer which is great but would be useless on a movable screen, which leaves only picture profiles. So...

Do you know or think that Nikon will ever upgrade the firmware to allow loading picture profiles, or at least update the existing profiles to include a flat setting? And, if not, does anyone know any tricks to flatten the Neutral setting any more to increase dynamic range? Because even at the flattest setting it's still a pretty decent image. Oh, and I'm talking for purposes of video. I rarely shoot pictures. Thanks either way.

Last edited:

paul04

I think that's a million dollar question,

Nikon should update the firmware at some point for the D3300, but we could never know what they will include.

mystic7

Wouldn't loads of others want the ability to load picture profiles into the camera? I mean, this camera is so much closer to mid-range cameras than budget it seems a shame not to add one little feature to bring it up a notch. It's not like I'm asking for aperture adjustment in Live View.

WayneF

You are not realizing that the D5300 higher camera model is already the upgrade you seek, with fold out rear LCD screen and custom user profiles, and other features.

Horoscope Fish

You are not realizing that the D5300 higher camera model is already the upgrade you seek, with fold out rear LCD screen and custom user profiles, and other features.
Pretty much this. ^^

The Nikon lineup is annoyingly "granular" in my opinion, though it has gotten better. I mean, I guess it's a good thing to have so many choices but it can also lead to confusion and frustration.

Regardless of how I feel about it, though, Wayne is right: the options you want are already incorporated in the D5300 and the likelihood of Nikon releasing a firmware update for the D3300 that does what you want, in my mind, is roughly zero. Nikon firmware updates are released to fix "bugs", not give us cool new goodies. . :( . Maybe that will change at some point but frankly, I'm not holding my breath.

mystic7

Yeah, I know about the D5300 and other dslr's that have the features I want. My point was it was silly to spend all that money just to get picture profiles and, as a plus, an articulating LCD screen, since the D3300 has such amazing features otherwise, as I pointed out in my original comment.

I see your point though about why Nikon won't give us a firmware update. I just picked up a D5500 from Costco. If it doesn't make my photo sessions significantly more enjoyable I have a month to return it. Thanks for responding, everybody.