Hello

brims

I picked up a D80 about 7 years ago, I read some web sites and quickly learned to use at least A, S, and sometimes M. I tried shooting RAW+JPEG but I could never figure out RAW editing so I just stuck with JPEG. A couple of weeks ago I was taking some shots and the camera just stopped working and saw Err on the top LCD. I swapped the memory card, battery, and lens with no success. I searched out this issure and found that it's the gear on the aperture control unit. So I need to fix that and I want to get that working for some other projects.

I was just about to go to Alaska for work and wanted to take pictures, so I went out and got a D750 and the Nikkor 70-300 lens. I decided that I would shoot in RAW+JPEG so that I would have access to the RAW files to learn how to edit them. I'm a Linux user and so I can't use the Capture NX, Lightroom, etc. So I need to seek out a good tutorial to learn Darktable, RawTherapee, or something else. When I open my RAW files in RT it seems the green channel is very high. In Darktable the channels seem to be balanced but they look like absolute garbage. I've played around with both pieces of software but haven't gotten far.

I joined because I saw a few threads about RawTherapee and thought this would be a good place to start getting help with RAW editing.

J-see

Do you have your cam and lens profiles for the D750? There are no specific profiles in RT and you have to copy them from elsewhere, save them to a map and load those before you start editing.

I just downloaded the Adobe DNG converter, installed it and then copied the profiles I needed to use in RT.

For documentation:

RawPedia

That's about it I fear.

Last edited:

brims

I just tried out the dcp files from Adobe DNG converter and it's no good. So either I really screwed up when I took the pictures or I just have no idea what I'm doing with RawTherapee. I'll have to start a thread over in Post Processing with some screenshots. I'm going to read through some more of RawPedia first and see if I can figure that out.

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

Looks like you've jumped in with both feet ... and both the Alaska trip and general California photography could keep you pretty well occupied for awhile. I don't know much in the way of Linux editing apps, but there are definitely a few linux shooters here who can help out.