Best Nikon DSLR camera

iluvnikon

Which is the best Nikon DSLR camera model?

Attachments

• sun and sand.jpg
    sun and sand.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
That's a very vague question - it all depends on your price range and what you're looking to do with the camera.

Curt

Well if you are just starting out you might want to look at the Nikon D3000 or D5000 (the D5000 can shoot video) , I had a D3000 for a while and it was a very nice camera, light, lots of features. If you are more advanced you might want to look at a D90 or D300, they cost a fair bit more, but do a lot more. Unless you want to look for a good used one like a D80, which I have and I love it. Basiclly a D90 but no video feature, but if you don't need that??

CL Extreme

The D3 or D3x is hand down the best, My D3 has been thru everything and still ready for more. My old D80 is in need of a replacement.

Curt

I agree, the D3 is a beautiful camera, but for those of us on a budget its a bit out of our reach. Maybe someday.

zx7dave

The best camera is the one you have with you when a picture opportunity presents its self...meaning get what you can comfortable afford now, then build up your lens collection then get into a better body down the road...
I have a great D300S, but find I take more pictures with my D3000 or Sony TX7 just because they are less obtrusive when I am out and about...

Curt

That is very true. I have a Canon G10 that I use all the time because its small, but has a lot of very nice functions on it. I use it mostly for family, holiday, etc.
It takes great pictures, and is in my hands often.

zx7dave

:) ...yea I hear you...I wish I took more pictures with my DSLR..but 1/2 my pictures, and likely 1/3 of my best pictures come from a point & shoot...just because it si more portable...

blueiron

From someone who has a D3. get a quality PnS or a Nikon D40. Cheaper, lighter, easy to carry, and they draw far less attention when out and about. It is quite a handful to lug around that kit.

If you go with a D40 or an equivalent, you can buy some very nice glass and expand your horizons far more than dropping $5k or more on a pro body and just one lens.

If I take out my D3, I get attention and some of it is unwanted. Security guards have told me that I cannot photo certain buildings, I have been questioned at general aviation airports, and MLB has regulations that prevent pro cameras and certain lenses at ball parks. No one seems to care about the PnS shooters.

zx7dave

Haha...your D3 attracts attention because it costs more than some cars...
I use the Sony TX7 for my PnS. I would like to go Nikon, but for the slim size and low light capability I just can't pull the trigger on anything in the Nikon lineup. However if it is winter my D3000 hides nicely under any jacket :)

KennethHamlett

The best camera is the one you have with you when a picture opportunity presents its self...meaning get what you can comfortable afford now, then build up your lens collection then get into a better body down the road...
I have a great D300S, but find I take more pictures with my D3000 or Sony TX7 just because they are less obtrusive when I am out and about...

Once again he's right. It doesn't matter what camera you own if you never have it with you. Don't stretch your finances just to get "the best camera" because honestly there isn't one. Pro photographers use certain equipment because it helps us capture our vision quicker and easier and for reproduction purposes. Other than that, any Nikon you buy will give you the tools to take great pictures...after that it's up to you. Get a D40x and some good glass if you want a DSLR, otherwise there are tons of PnS cameras that will take great pics.

Snap Happy

This is a simple question. The best camera for you, is the one that is within your budget, at the time of purchase. But, you should try and have the best glass you can afford first. I would put a good lens on a not so good camera yet still get good results. If you put a poor lens on the best camera, you will still get not as good results. So if you ask me, it should be a consideration of the lens first before the camera.

KennethHamlett

This is a simple question. The best camera for you, is the one that is within your budget, at the time of purchase. But, you should try and have the best glass you can afford first. I would put a good lens on a not so good camera yet still get good results. If you put a poor lens on the best camera, you will still get not as good results. So if you ask me, it should be a consideration of the lens first before the camera.

Good answer!

Merc

Fully agree about the budget and in the days of film the glass was the most important thing as essentially the camera was just a box that held the film but these days the sensor is almost as important as the glass. I have a D90 and a D700. In lowlight (High ISO) there is a huge difference between the 2 in IQ.