new member and questions

maverick1963

hello I have been shooting mostly sports for the past 12 years and the whole time I have been shooting Nikon. I am looking into upgrading from a Nikon 3200 and to either a Nikon D3x or Nikon 810. I am asking for input from you all.

J-see

If you plan to shoot sports know that the D810 isn't really a cam to capture loads of shots fast. Its buffer runs empty quickly unless you lower the quality which somewhat defeats the purpose of buying a D810. The D750 might be more suitable if you plan on an FX.

Moab Man

If you have been able to get the job done with DX then the D7200 might be a great option. However, if you are going to jump to full frame, I would go to the D810 over the D3S. The one edge I give to the D3s is its frame rate of 9 per second. But you have been happy with 4 fps so the D810 will give you one more at 5 fps.

J-see

It will depend on what you're shooting.

The D810 is a phenomenal cam but I don't consider it an action cam. It's not that the frame rate is much of a problem as the write times are. If I have to shoot a burst or two and manage to flood my buffer, if something comes along I desire to shoot when that occurs, I'm pretty much screwed since it takes a while before it has written the info to my card.

It's less of a problem with the D750 or D7200 which are both very nice cams to shoot action. The fact that their file sizes are smaller implies the buffer is cleared up faster which allows me to take more shots.

But like I said; it'll depend upon what you shoot and what performance you expect.

jay_dean

A D3X or D810 for sports? D810 all day long. If you want a better fps and don't crop deep, then the D3S may be a consideration, but the residual value of a second hand D3S is extremely strong. Welcome along..