Infrared D7000 conversion: capable of thermal imaging?

Staubig

Okay guys, I'm new to this forum and am a very recreational photographer. My uncle, who was a enthusiast, had a D7000 that was converted to Infrared, not an external filter, a conversion. He has passed away and it appears the camera will become mine since nobody else cares much for pictures lacking visible light. I have a million questions, but one big one. Is this camera at all capable of thermal imaging? I know that infrared is low-spectrum, long wavelength light/radiation. Would the radiation of heat be something that would fit into an infrared spectrum? And would this camera be able to capture it? If it can I'm sure it would need to assign colors to different degrees of captured radiation. I'd even be fine with making infrared photos look thermal through post processing color assignment. Is it possible? Much thanks! Dusty/Staubig

Staubig

No idea :D but it doesn't stop me saying welcome to the forum.
Thanks all the same! Can't wait to poke around this forum. I've got many photographers in my family, I've always enjoyed it but have never spent the money to become a self sufficient photographer. I'm hoping to change that. It's kind of funny that my first DSLR will be infrared lol

Fred Kingston

If you google "Infrared camera conversions" you'll get a half dozen links to camera dealers that do these conversions... By the nature of the beast, those web sites necessarily contain links and tutorials to everything IR. Some even providing very specific tutorials dedicated to post processing IR... good luck

Staubig

Thanks, I tried but can't seem to find much on thermal shots through infrared cameras (because I'm not sure it's possible)

Fred Kingston

It appears that thermal imaging and IR imaging are fairly close... but at different wavelengths... I suppose a lot of the difference will boil down to which IR filter was installed in your camera... there are several options in that regard... Do you know which vendor did the conversion?

Staubig

Unfortunately I don't know, and am not sure I'll be able to find out. My uncle passed suddenly in his sleep. For all I know he converted it himself. I have seen what it's capable of trough some memory cards I found, but I'm not sure the specifics of the replaced filter. Hopefully when I get my hands on it I'll learn more about what EXACTLY I'm dealing with.

coolbus18

Well Hiya and Welcome!!!!. So here's something that might be of help. Have fun! IR Photography | DPanswers

_DSC7641.jpgThis was done on my D7100 with an infrared filter, 720 nm..

Last edited:

coolbus18

I wish I knew the strength of my filter :( but thanks for the incredible link coolbus18 !

You're welcome. Well ya' got me going. _DSC2493.jpg and this was done in the D7100 using the monochrome setting with a "red" filter.Of course it's a digital filter but I shall soon be experimenting with IR on film. IR film itself is pretty spendy and there are conversions out there. $$$$$. Yeah there are some phenomenal out there and here.

Staubig

Ahh! Some of those are so beautiful. I'm really wondering how much of the colors you see are post processing. Probably just about all of it. I really like the black and white ones though. I'd really like to set my camera up to take nice b&w with little (none?) editing. I really.enjoy black and white.