VIEWFINDER issues NIKON D5300

brajagopal1989

Hi!
I am a beginner with Nikon D5300. It is just one month old. I can see very tiny dots in viewfinder...very tiny....one or two. Is that common. No issues with shots. Nothing comes in them. I just want to know is the thing same with everyone??

J-see

It can be dust on the mirror. I have it with my D810. I don't bother about it and will clean it when my sensor needs to be cleaned.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I have some on my D5300. On mine it is on the view finder focus plate (I think that is what they call it). It doesn't have any effect on the photos, it is just annoying to look at. Ha! I have tried the "Rocket" blower to remove it and I couldn't get it. It is just something, that for now, I live with. It has moved around some over time. I researched online for how to clean it and the focus plate needs to be removed for cleaning. There are youtube videos, but the actual chances of doing greater damage and having to get a replacement plate is not worth cleaning it (for me). Maybe later if the sensor needs cleaning or something, I may have it done by the pros. Ha!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have some on my D5300. On mine it is on the view finder focus plate (I think that is what they call it). I

It's called the focusing screen and it's quite common to see bits of dust sticking on there. Sometimes it's under and can be cleaned with the rocket blower and other times it's above the screen and it's a bit more complicated to remove them.

My advice is If it doesn't affect the image, just live with it because even if you remove it now, some will come back later.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Thanks Marcel for the clarification on the focusing screen terminology. It was late and I didn't feel like looking it up and my memory is only as good as the pencil and paper I have in my hand. Ha!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have some on my D5300. On mine it is on the view finder focus plate (I think that is what they call it). It doesn't have any effect on the photos, it is just annoying to look at. Ha! I have tried the "Rocket" blower to remove it and I couldn't get it. It is just something, that for now, I live with. It has moved around some over time. I researched online for how to clean it and the focus plate needs to be removed for cleaning. There are youtube videos, but the actual chances of doing greater damage and having to get a replacement plate is not worth cleaning it (for me). Maybe later if the sensor needs cleaning or something, I may have it done by the pros. Ha!
It's called the focusing screen. It used to be made of glass but is now made out of plastic. Unfortunately, the plastic may get a bit charged with static and it will attract dust sometimes. But it's better to have then stick to the focusing screen than on the sensor IMHO.