IF-ED Lens

SJD

I already own the 70-300mm IF-ED lens and the "IF" feature in particular is something i really love about this lens.

I'm planning on buying (planning :)) a micro lens and I'm a bit confused about "IF" option.

For 105mm and 200mm Micro the title itself clearly says "IF-ED" but on 85mm Micro the title does not say IF but the description says that it has "Internal Focus". Same goes with 60mm Micro.

So my question is does 85mm too has "IF-ED" or not ? if it does is it as same as what i have in my 70-300mm ?

Horoscope Fish

I already own the 70-300mm IF-ED lens and the "IF" feature in particular is something i really love about this lens.

I'm planning on buying (planning :)) a micro lens and I'm a bit confused about "IF" option.

For 105mm and 200mm Micro the title itself clearly says "IF-ED" but on 85mm Micro the title does not say IF but the description says that it has "Internal Focus". Same goes with 60mm Micro.

So my question is does 85mm too has "IF-ED" or not? if it does is it as same as what i have in my 70-300mm?
Well first of all focusing and zooming are, of course, two different things. Internal Focus indicates the front lens element does not rotate and the lens barrel does not change length when focusing; zooming, though, is a separate issue.

Some lenses change length when zooming, some don't. The Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR changes length when zooming but not when focusing (because it too has IF).

The short answer to your questions regarding the 60mm and 85mm Micro's is, yes; they both have Internal Focus.

SJD

Thanks. But this what made me ask the question. When you search for 105mm it does say "IF-ED" on the title itself and on 85mm that's not the case. Why is that ?