Geometric pattern showing up in star trails. D810

afryhover

Hey everyone! New to the forum. I've done lots of star trails with my D7100 with no problems. My first photo stacking star trail with my D810 and I get this crazy geometric pattern showing up. Has anyone else seen this? It shows up regardless of file type, JPEG, DNG or TIFF.

Attachments

• IMG_9914c.jpg
    IMG_9914c.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 436

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hey everyone! New to the forum. I've done lots of star trails with my D7100 with no problems. My first photo stacking star trail with my D810 and I get this crazy geometric pattern showing up. Has anyone else seen this? It shows up regardless of file type, JPEG, DNG or TIFF.
This really looks like moire. Maybe you could shove a bit of blur in your images before you merge them and see if you could solve it this way.

WayneF

I strongly doubt that any of your single exposures show that effect. Lenses don't cause moire, but pixel patterns do. Your case is surely caused by slight misalignment of the pixels in multiple image layers, image pixels not precisely aligned. My wild guess is this pattern might be caused by doing lens distortion corrections before stacking them, so that some pixels in some layers get shifted differently, no longer perfectly registered when stacked? Try turning that feature off.

Last edited:
I was shooting the Milky Way last night and had the same problem come up. I think it comes from over sharpening the photos. I only played a bit when I got home at 2am from shooting. I am going to try again and see if that is the problems.

I also had the same issue when I edited some northern light photos. I couldn't figure out why it was happening. Originally i thought it was lightroom. Then i thought it might be the lens distortion for the new Tamron 15-30. Nothing seemed to work. So i asked on the adobe forum what could be wrong. Like previous post suggested on adobe they told me that it appears that my sharpening/clarity was to high before merging in Photoshop. I waited until after I merged to sharpen/clarity and the problem went away.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk