Crackle Glass HDR vs. Single Expsosure

Rick M

Your thoughts on the shots below? one is a single exposure and one is a 3 shot HDR merge. Which do you feel is better? Now that I see them together, the differences are very subtle.

DSC_0012_390.jpg

Crackle HDR.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I prefer the single exposure one. It seems to have more depth and contrast, to my eyes anyway.

KWJams

The bottom one to me looks better. It has an appearance of distance from the back ground and things like the handles have a crystal glow to them instead a gray tint from the back ground like in the top image.

Eye-level

Banned
I too prefer the single exposure...because of the contrast and I think the background is smoother.

There is something to say for the brightness of the second picture...

Interesting comparison!

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

I think this exercise points out the use of HDR over a single exposure. Your camera has about a six stop range for bringing out detail in a single exposure. HDR can be used to bring out the detail in shadows and highlights when the exposure exceeds the single shot range of about six stops. The greater the stop range difference the greater the distinctiveness of using HDR. This shot is within the detail range of the camera with just a single shot. As Cnyram has stated the differences are subtle which can be accounted for by personal preferences, the slight differences in processing by the camera of the four shots, or slight differences in the computer processing and down sizing to be posted here. Both are excellent renditions of the composition and any minor differences can be adjusted in post processing depending on your personal preferences. Which is bette? Neither, they are both excellent exposures.

Rick M

Thanks for the comments. I was very surprised with the HDR results in that I really cranked it up and could not get a surreal effect, nor did the amount on detail seam to increase.