Best lenses for 5300

Doxie

I am planning on purchasing a 5300 and could really use some input and recommendations.I am considering a refurbished camera body and or lenses to get the most bangfor my buck.
My maximum budget for body and lenses is about $1500.

I was very involved in SLR photography in high school, many years ago, and into mytwenties before kids interests took over my life. I've had numerous point and shoots and cell phone cameras but it’s time for me to find my passion again.
I shoot mostly landscape, wildlife and nature, some general photography, no sports,mostly outdoors. I live in the Pacific Northwest so I have easy access to lotsof incredible and diverse scenery.

I’m thinking 3 lenses with good glass. AmI better off buying the camera body and lenses separate, skipping the lens kit?I could go with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II kit lens.

I know I want the ability to shoot wide, shoot distant and crop, shoot in low light situations,and obtain nice creamy bokeh.

This is whatI’ve come up with so far:
Prime lens, Leaning towards the Nikon
35mm f/1.8 or Nikon 50mm f/1.8?
For distance, Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
Wide angle for landscape, how well would the 18-55 work well? I know there are better options, help.

What ideas and combination of lenses do you feel would be best for me?

Skip the 18-55 and go with the 18-140. Much better walk around lens.
The 70-300 is a great lens. I shoot it a lot.
I recently got the 35mm 1.8 and I really do like it a lot. Since this is a DX camera the 35mm is closer to a Normal lens from the olden days of 35mm film. I really think something along the lines of 28mm would be even better. I have really gotten spoiled by the zooms going to the wide angles.

Doxie

Yes, I remember the olden days of 35mm film, I used to really enjoy working in b&w. The idea of a cropped sensor is still strange.

I like the idea of the 18-140 for a walk around lens.
Thinking about a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II for landscapes.

Horoscope Fish

Yes, I remember the olden days of 35mm film, I used to really enjoy working in b&w. The idea of a cropped sensor is still strange.

I like the idea of the 18-140 for a walk around lens.
Thinking about a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II for landscapes.
The 18-140mm and Tokina 11-16mm were the only two DX lenses I kept for my D7100 when I went to a full-frame body. The 35mm f/1.8G is an essential lens, IMO, for anyone with a DX body. It's a really, really good little lens.

My girlfriend shoots with a D5300 and a 35mm prime almost exclusively... She swears she needs nothing else 99% of the time.

SpikeyLemon

You could also consider the 16-85 from Nikon. That lens practically glued to my camera.

Tokina 11-16 now has updated version to 11-20. May want to keep an eye on those upgraded and selling the old version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortkentdad

Another vote for the 35mm 1.8 DX lens - great low light lens for your D5300. My wife loves it on the D5100 when shooting indoors without a flash. Light and sharp.

I recently picked up a Tamron 70-300 VC lens (about $500 CDN). Super lens. Gets grand reviews. it is an FX lens meaning you get a longer reach on your DX camera. Does have the USD motor so will work great on the D5300. Recommend you check that one out.

You may want to add a macro lens to your collection if getting up close and personal with any insects is on your 'wanna do' list.

gav329

Why not get a D5200 new rather than a refurb D5300? 35mm 1.8 superb good choice. I was looking at D5500 recently and the dials are cheap and nasty, the D5300 will prob be the last good quality D5000 series body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gav329

True it's got some advantages can't argue with that. I was just referring to picking both up in the shop the 5200 and 5300 still felt solid clicks on turning the dials but the 5500 felt a bit flimsy that's just my feeling though. Your point is well made though mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you go to a 7200 you will have problems with long lenses 200mm up as you have no AF fine tune . You may get lucky but I would test the actual lens you intend to buy in the shop before you commit if you stick with a D5xxx

mikew_RIP

Unless you go to a 7200 you will have problems with long lenses 200mm up as you have no AF fine tune . You may get lucky but I would test the actual lens you intend to buy in the shop before you commit if you stick with a D5xxx

You will have problems with long lenses

Just take a moment to check peoples images on here and on flickr before making all encompassing statements like that,they are un provable and do nothing to encourage people.

J-see

I don't know of the D5300 in specific but I did have issues with the Tamron 150-600mm on my D3300. Since I could not fine-tune focus, it was practically impossible to put the lens to good use.

I never had those problems with the 70-300mm or the 200mm micro so it was probably a case of bad luck. Still, it doesn't hurt to test else you might have to send them in to tune both.

I dont think that is so mike ..I dont want people to be disapointed it they go buy say a 150-500 80to 400 and cannot get good focus at the long end. I have not found a lens that did not need some AF fine tune and you only need to look at DXO sharpness profiles to see that with 18-xxx zooms the IQ at the far end is not good if xxx is over about 150.
The lower end Nikons are cheaper for a reason and no AF fine tune is one of them. Of course if you have a sigma that uses a USB dock then you can fine tune it independent of the camera,Sigmas production of which probably proves my point.

Thanks J-see for a sensible informative answer

mikew_RIP

Yes thanks J-see for an informative answer stating your experience,not an all encompassing assumption like you made,i still stick with my fist statement,there are thousands of D3xxx and D5xxx happily using there cameras and getting great results with long lenses,the other part of your post that was factually incorrect is the need to go to a D7200 to get focus fine tune,D7000 and D7100 are still readily available and a lot cheaper than the D7200.

Quite right Mike but I was quoting current models for simplicity ...having used the D7000 at 16mp I would not now recomend it as being up to current 24mp nikon standards and a 7100 would be preferable to a 7000.

Looking at downsized pictures on a monitor does not seem the best method of accesment to me.

mikew_RIP

Quite right Mike but I was quoting current models for simplicity ...having used the D7000 at 16mp I would not now recomend it as being up to current 24mp nikon standards and a 7100 would be preferable to a 7000.

Looking at downsized pictures on a monitor does not seem the best method of accesment to me.

You really dont understand the average amateur photographer,there needs desires and budget,

So any one who cant afford the level of equipment you consider good enough shouldn't bother,most start with the gear they can afford and they need encouragement,as far as looking at downsized pictures on a monitor 95% of pictures taken never get past that point,ime going to bow out now not because i think your right but because i feel i have made my point and its here in print to offset your opinion.

Blue_Esq

I've seen a couple of references to the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I picked one of these up for my 5300 used and it is definitely a great lens. However, you have to keep in mind that the version 1 does NOT have an internal focus motor in the lens. Since the 5300 does not have the AF motor in the body, the version 1 of the Tokina 11-16mm requires manual focus. Version 2 of the same lens added the AF motor. Just be careful if you're looking at used copies of that lens.