Nikon D810 or D750

I am looking to buy a new camera and can't decide which way to go. I shoot primaraly landscape photography and I now both the D810 and D750 are great cameras but will I see the difference in 36mp compare to 24mp? I have a 12 mp camera now so it will be at least double mp's. Also is there much problem with sensor blur on the D810?

Horoscope Fish

I am looking to buy a new camera and can't decide which way to go. I shoot primaraly landscape photography and I now both the D810 and D750 are great cameras but will I see the difference in 36mp compare to 24mp? I have a 12 mp camera now so it will be at least double mp's. Also is there much problem with sensor blur on the D810?
Well for someone who shoots "primarily landscape photography" I'd say it's hard to suggest anything other than the D810 if it's in the budget. With the AA filter removed, the higher resolution and slightly better dynamic range it's the Landscape (and/or Architecture) Photographer's Camera, hands down, in my opinion.

Still, for about a grand less you could do the D750 and still have a superb "Jack of all Trades" camera and maybe put that $1,000 towards some superb glass...

Hmmmm... Well, it's good to have options!

10 Gauge

I agree with [MENTION=13090]Horoscope Fish[/MENTION] completely. If it's in the budget, the D810 is where it's at. Had I had the budget myself, that's where I'd be. I don't shoot any video so it would have ultimately been a better choice for me but the 750 was the next best thing that was in my price range. You could always have the AA filter removed from the D750 like HF has done to his (and I am considering doing to mine) to pick up that extra bit of resolving power (and still come in under the price of the D810 body).

Can you tell the difference in picture quality between the D7850 and the D810? I can buy the D750 now, I would have to save a little more for the D810. I do almost 95% of my shooting hand holding the camera. Do you think that would be a problem with the D810. Who do you have remove the AA filter, Nikon?

nikonpup

what do you have for lens if you got the d750 now? Good fx glass is going to run $1k to $2k per lens. What do you do with
your photos? For web/internet, large prints (24x36) ?

J-see

I have both and when it comes to landscapes the D810 is the better of both. When shooting ISO 64 you'll have better IQ and evidently more detail because of the increased MP. The D750 is the better low light performer.

Do you see the difference between both? Yes, when you compare them directly you do but it's not like the D750 looks like crap in comparison. But the moment you push ISO higher than 64, only the detail makes the difference.

To add; when shooting handheld you need a slightly faster shutter with the D810 than you do with the D750 since the increase in MP also pick up shake faster. For me it's about 1/3th stop I need to shoot faster but it's seldom a problem with short lenses.

Last edited:

10 Gauge

Can you tell the difference in picture quality between the D7850 and the D810? I can buy the D750 now, I would have to save a little more for the D810. I do almost 95% of my shooting hand holding the camera. Do you think that would be a problem with the D810. Who do you have remove the AA filter, Nikon?
Lifepixel does the AA removal. I believe it's $300 for the standard 10 day turnaround.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

10 Gauge

Do you see a big difference without the AA filter. I have never seen a comparison.
[MENTION=13090]Horoscope Fish[/MENTION] did, and from the online stuff I've searched for, it does make quite the difference. I'm contemplating sending mine, but I'll be without a camera for a month if I do so since they are based on the west coast (week to ship out, 2 business weeks for the mod, week to ship back). Not sure if I'm that dedicated yet, haha.

Forgot the second part of the question. I mainly use my pictures for the web/internet. I do not do large prints, I print mainly 8X10 when needed, not that I wouldn't want to make large prints some day.

J-see

Forgot the second part of the question. I mainly use my pictures for the web/internet. I do not do large prints, I print mainly 8X10 when needed, not that I wouldn't want to make large prints some day.

Maybe the D750 would do as well for your needs. And let's not forget very soon the market will be flooded by 40-50MP cams and the D810 will become a midrange FX.

That's a very good point. 36mp will be a middle of the road camera by next year if trends stay the same. Maybe the D750 and having the AA filter removed would be the way to go for my shooting. It would be a $600.00 savings over the D810. If there is one thing that bugs me about the D750 is there is no AF-ON on the back of the camera. You have to use the shutter release button to focus.

J-see

That's a very good point. 36mp will be a middle of the road camera by next year if trends stay the same. Maybe the D750 and having the AA filter removed would be the way to go for my shooting. It would be a $600.00 savings over the D810. If there is one thing that bugs me about the D750 is there is no AF-ON on the back of the camera. You have to use the shutter release button to focus.

I use back-button focus which is basically the same as the AF-ON the D810 has.

J-see

Also; I'd wait with removing the filter if you get the D750. It's entirely possible you'll be satisfied as it is and can do without the removal. Even if not, you can do it at any time you like.

What's important is that you buy the cam you really desire. I first got the D3300 to see if photography still interested me and I already planned on upgrading if that would be the case. I had set my mind on the D810 but ended up buying the D750 not long after its release.

In the end I still got the D810. It's hard to get something out of your mind once it is in there and there's always that "what if".

If it makes no difference which of both, you can get whatever suits your needs.

I don't know what the back-button focus is, could you explain? I'm going through the "What If" scenario with theses two cameras now. I probably don't need what the D810 brings over the D750 but then again maybe I do. Better safe than sorry. Then maybe I don't and I can save a couple of bucks. Someties I can be a real bonehead.
Believe it or not a salesman at a reputable camera store said I didn't need the D810 and I should buy the D750. His analogy was "A D750 was like nailing a nail into a deck with a hammer and a D810 was like nailing it in with a sledge hammer. They both did the same thing but the D810 did it with more power". I know most people will disagree with his comparison.

I am familiar with back button focus with the AF-On button using a D3 but where on a D750 is the button you use, I'm confused. I'm looking at the picture of the back of the D750 on the Nikon site and there is no AF-On button on the back of the D750, are you using another button. I am not totally familiar with the D750.