D5300 live view problem

Eland Slayer

I have been using a D5100 for about 3 years, and recently upgraded to the D5300. I am very pleased with the new camera, but I'm having one small issue....

I am still using the same three lenses I was using for the D5100 (Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 55-300mm, and Sigma 10-20mm wide angle). I use the Sigma wide angle lens the most for landscapes, and like to use the flip out screen in live mode for taking photos down low of water, etc...

I have recently discovered that, for some reason, the D5300 will not allow me to take photos in live view mode with that lens only. It works just fine with the other lenses, but not with the wide angle Sigma. Can anyone think of a reason why this is happening? The Sigma works perfectly fine using the regular viewfinder....just not in live view.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps there is some setting I am just missing....

Regards,

Wade

WayneF

Welcome to the forum.

Guessing, but I suspect it is a focus issue?

Viewfinder shows the green dot (lower left viewfinder), indicating the camera found focus. The default options will prevent shutter operation unless focus is found, and the green dot is showing (normally is a very good thing to wait for focus first).

I don't think the green dot shows on the Live View screen, so some experimenting holding shutter half press may be necessary to determine if it actually finds focus in those Live View situations. Try very close and then distant points, so you can see things changing as it focuses (wide angle lenses tend to not show great difference, but there is a point called "in focus" when the shutter will operate). You can "zoom" the Live View rear screen to see the subject details much more clear, to examine focus.

Focus is considerably slower in Live View... give it a couple of seconds while watching screen for focus. Shutter should work if it finds focus.

Live View and Viewfinder have very different methods of focusing.
Viewfinder uses special phase detection cells in the viewfinder, very fast.
All Live View can do is to experiment with focus and then examine contrast in the actual image pixels to determine best point, rather slow.
Live View is a different world.

Live view has its own set of AF-S, AF-C, Face Detect, etc, etc .. options and settings than does the view finder. Start at page 119 D5300 Reference manual ( Nikon | Download center | D5300 )

Last edited:

Eland Slayer

For whatever reason, the auto focus will not work at all in live view mode with this lens. The square (which normally will be red until focus is reached, then turning green) simply turns green immediately after pushing down the shutter button half way. Focus does not ever change....and when the shutter button is pressed all the way, nothing happens. It simply will not take a photo in live view mode with this lens.

I'm really confused about why it's doing this.

WayneF

Then maybe others here have that same lens and will comment, but otherwise, it sounds like a question for Sigma support.