Thanks/Likes

Bourbon Neat

Thanks/Likes are a good thing?

I will click the like button on an image to show recognition of a nice capture, in my opinion and to acknowledge a valuable comment. Not that my blind eyes have great value at this forum, I am aware that photography is not my strong suit.

This forum has been a great source to aide in advancing the hobby of photography, for me anyway. Rather than ask for critique in each thread when posting, I thought I could rely on the likes or lack of to be the feedback of my attempts. It seems that the Thanks/Likes has value to others in a different form, unfortunately it spoils the feedback aspect.

Anyone else have thoughts about Thanks/Likes?

Elliot87

I don't quite know what you mean. I use the like button for the same reasons as you and I assume most others do to. Do you think that it some instances there is too much liking going on, so an image that isn't that good will get almost as many likes as a great one?

Needa

Challenge Team
For me the Thanks/Likes are not always about the image quality, often I give likes just for the subject. Are there any rules?

mikew_RIP

This question has been brought up before,the thanks and like button is bound to have different meanings as its a two fold choice of reasons for clicking,i do believe its one of the strengths of the forum the way its used,another forum i visit allows critique in all postings and it spoils the thread.
I click if i like an image,i say like it doesn't mean i consider it the best i have seen,or i could click it to say thanks for a comment,if its critique you want there is a section for posting in,also i try to view most images that are posted and commenting would take too long.

J-see

I personally would not consider likes as an indication of quality since there's a huge social component to it. If you like me, you'll probably like my shots more, if you dislike me, you probably will dislike my shots.

Thanks is just being polite.

mikew_RIP

I personally would not consider likes as an indication of quality since there's a huge social component to it. If you like me, you'll probably like my shots more, if you dislike me, you probably will dislike my shots.

Thanks is just being polite.

Plus the fact if a new comer gets a few likes for there first attempts it encourages them to continue and hopefully grow there ability,as you say it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

WayneF

Likes shouldn't be taken too seriously, it only means whatever the Liking person thinks it means. But regardless if it means Thanks, or Wonderful Image, or Interesting Subject, or You're a Friend, I Have to Like It, or whatever, I think to the Receiver that it reasonably implies Encouragement, expressing favor towards seeing more similar actions. As opposed to Ignoring, Who Cares?

Blacktop

On topic. I'm very liberal with my likes. I may "like" a shot because it grabs my attention, or it is aesthetically pleasing to my eyes, or perhaps I see an improvement in that poster and want to encourage and acknowledge this fact.

If I actually make a reply to a post/image, then it means that there is something in the image that really grabbed me and I want you to know this.
To me, a reply carries more weight then 20 likes.

J-see

Plus the fact if a new comer gets a few likes for there first attempts it encourages them to continue and hopefully grow there ability,as you say it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

True; it can be stimulating for people. I like for a multitude of reasons but only view a limited amount of shots. There are often too many to go through them all.

jay_dean

If we should only post or 'like' images that could grace the cover of National Geographic, it'd be a very different forum. To me, this forum is about learning and encouragement in an noncompetitive and relaxed environment

canuck257

I use it as an expression of my personal appreciation of a post, not necessarily an image. Often I am expressing thanks rather than/as well as likes.

Moab Man

If I don't know your work I "like" if it's a really great shot. If I know your work and you have a shot that takes it to the next level in your photography skills I "like" it. Finally, if your work is great and that's what I expect, then I "like" if it looks like your developing a new aspect of your skills.

Of course any shot that has something that makes you go wow gets a " like."

I don't give likes as participation trophies.

For myself, it is rewarding to see likes when they are not just done as spam or because the poster is a social butterfly collecting participation trophies.

Last edited:

Bill16

I try to give likes as incouragement, to show my appreciation of your sharing your work with us! I don't expect a lot of likes on my photos, except from members trying to in courage me! I see a lot of photographers better than me and I keep trying to improve my work to be more like theirs!
Once in a while I take what I think is a good shot, and that gives me pleasure that reminds me that others encouragements may have helped make this shot I like happen! :)

Well there is my two cents worth of opinions! Lol :)

Bourbon Neat

I am glad that you all have shared your intentions of the T/L option of a post. I tend to agree with @Blacktop about a response carrying the value of 20 likes.

This is a very supportive community.