Data Recovery Software

ohkphoto

Snow White
Anybody out there ever use Spinrite to recover/prevent data loss?

Anybody want to guess what the "professional lab" wants to charge me for recovering data from one of my crashed drives????? :eek::(

Arm and Leg?
I use Memeo Hard Drive Backup | Backup Programs | Hard Disk Backup - Memeo Instant Backup™ backup software going to a Network Attached Drive. What this does is automatically backs up every file in an assigned folder or folders every time it is saved on the local drive. It can also be set to save multiple copies of it. Say you shoot a great picture and save it to your pictures folder. It then gets backed up to the backup drive. You then go to photoshop and work on that file and for to change the name and save it again. The backup then saves it again but as a second copy so you now have the original and the tweaked copy. It can save as many versions as you have set it to. I set mine to three. This can really save you when you forget to use the save as option and really need to original file back.
The software came with my WD World Drive
Best Buy $199.99
I lost drives a couple of times and lost some important files. Will never happen to me again. This won't help you this time but it will save you next time.

Browncoat

Believe it or not, your local Staples store has a data recovery service that is very inexpensive. Unless you have mechanical failure as jdeg noted above, Staples is a very inexpensive option.

Barracuda, Carbonite, and Mozy are all online backup services that are inexpensive as well. I've read good things about Backblaze, too.

johnwartjr

I used to use spinrite back in the DOS days. Worked well then. Of course, I think I was using an 80mb hard drive :)

The problem I had with carbonite was the upload speed - it took forever. That was a limitation of my cable internet service, not their service.

Now, I use several 2 TB eSATA drives. Once a month, I put one in my safety deposit box, bring the one from the box home, and sync it with my system.