to 64 or not

silvertip

I am currently running Win7 32 bit Home Premium on my Gateway laptop. (2 gig ram, 120 gig hard drive) The question is should I update to the 64 bit version? I have the disc for both versions. What is the advantage of the 64 bit version and what is involved in the upgrade process?

To run a 64-bit version of Windows, your computer must have a 64-bit-capable processor. To find out if your processor is 64-bit-capable in Windows 7 or Windows Vista, do the following:
  • Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.jpg
    , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.
  • Do one of the following:
    • In Windows 7, click View and print detailed performance and system information.
    • In Windows Vista, click View and print details.
  • In the System section, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running under System type, and whether or not you can run a 64-bit version of Windows under 64-bit capable. (If your computer is already running a 64-bit version of Windows, you won't see the 64-bit capable listing.)

Now you need to do some research to see if it is worth the trouble. Do you have software that is 64bit compatible? With only 2gig of memory is it worth the trouble? Do you run PhotoShop and if yes is it the 64bit version?
Chances are you would never know the difference. Google the question and see what guides you can find.

Browncoat

Truth is, there's not much difference performance-wise between 32 and 64 bit. 64 bit was designed to take advantage of high end processors with more than 4GB of memory available. The 32 bit system can only handle 3GB maximum. The main advantage is that 64 bit will remap your system BIOS so that you can make full use of your available memory. Think of it as a performance enhancer similar to boring out the cylinders of an engine.

You may notice a slight improvement in processing speed, but not likely. The big thing is making sure all your current software will support it, or else be prepared to buy new.

silvertip

Most of my software is compatible. Lightroom 3 and MS Office 7 are compatible, Elements 6 is not. I don't use it that much. The rest of my software is freeware and may or may not be. I am sure I can find 64 bit versions of the freeware I have, if not I just won't use it.