42MP Sony A7rII is now available to order.

AC016

I really hope that Sony does not base all of their marketing for this camera, on the sensor. 40+ megapixels is far more then most people need.

Bourbon Neat

Shutter life rated at 500,000 actuations, onboard 5-axis image stabilization, 5fps shooting rate, 399 phase-detect points and 25 contrast-detect points for auto focus, 102,400 iso.

10 Gauge

Some of the best shots I've ever taken were on a Canon 40D @ 10.1mp. I don't do any large format printing, just digital archiving and online sharing, so it was more than enough to fit the bill.

singlerosa_RIP

Speaking of too many MP, I have a buddy who started out with a D7000 then bought a D800 but continues to use DX lenses because he likes the small (16MP) small file size. Go figure.

J-see

It's called medium format. ;)

With those MP they best develop a new model between both. Those sensor pixels are getting way too small.

Edit; I just read it's a BSI sensor which makes quite a difference. I'm curious to see the first test results. I wonder why it has more sensor pixels than resolution pixels. Maybe by flipping the sensor, the pixels move slightly forward and they downsample the shot a small %.

Last edited:

J-see

I'm surprised no one mentioned the $3200 list price. That is getting on up there on a competitive level price wise with a D4, isn't it?

That's about the D810 price. I assume the MEGApixel battle is fought in that area. It's a "reasonable" price if you keep in mind those BSI sensors cost more to manufacture.

Last edited:

AC016

With those MP they best develop a new model between both. Those sensor pixels are getting way too small.

Edit; I just read it's a BSI sensor which makes quite a difference. I'm curious to see the first test results. I wonder why it has more sensor pixels than resolution pixels. Maybe by flipping the sensor, the pixels move slightly forward and they downsample the shot a small %.

I'm not sure there would be a market for a sensor that sits between medium format and full frame. You already have Canon at 50mp on the FF side and when you look at medium format digital cameras, you have 37, 40, 50, 60 and 80.

J-see

I'm not sure there would be a market for a sensor that sits between medium format and full frame. You already have Canon at 50mp on the FF side and when you look at medium format digital cameras, you have 37, 40, 50, 60 and 80.

There probably wouldn't be much of a market but the current tendency for more megapixels might end up trading in quality for detail. Maybe this sensor can gain the detail and quality even while having DX sized pixels.

Vincent

Even if I do not want to buy a new camera (did buy too much), I'm still working on a plan for replacement (foreseen spring 2017). Budget was set at 1200€, mainly based on a second hand Nikon D750, which was well received for me, low light and sport focusing, Full Frame ISO behaviour, 24mp (more then I have now), ... Frame rate is not my thing and more megapixels was also not a priority (I like my 6 mpix D70s just fine).

I might be changing my vision:
- rumor on the Sony E mount adaptor that would do focusing with Nikon Lenses (seems prototype tests ongoing)
- A7R II which seems to have a lot of features, including a focusing capability above DSLRs according to dpview.
Analysis: Sony a7R II and RX100 IV autofocus systems: Digital Photography Review

the budget question: I would expect the Sony + adapter to come to 2000€ second hand in 2017, which would probably give me a Nikon D4 at that time.

The D4 is a very capable machine, does it loose from the A7R II?
I think so, A7R II:
- smaller (even if the lens will detemine much of the volume on FF)
- super BSI sensor (to be confirmed in use and tests, but probability is high)
- super auto focus (hopefully version 3 for the Nikon adapter will be out in 2017), larger coverage and good combination phase and contrast detection
- more cross type points => believe I got that wrong, no cross type in A7RII
- super IBIS stabilisation (see A7II reviews)
- more crop possibilities and details available (42mpix BSI)

=> where the A7R II will still be stuck is battery life, but for me that is not major. I hope large files will not be blocking; laptop is foreseen for spring 2016.
I'll admit that a lot is still promises, but Sony starts to build a reputation of delivering on those.

Speaking of too many MP, I have a buddy who started out with a D7000 then bought a D800 but continues to use DX lenses because he likes the small (16MP) small file size. Go figure.

A D800 has other layout, measuring systems, etc... it might be worth it. But seems a waste for most applications.

Last edited:

Vincent

Now that they are available the reviews start rolling in.

Where with a f1.4 lens in low light the A7RM2 (DPreview I belief) seems to outperform DSLRs, in generally the autofocus is still behind seems to be the general conclusion.
The dynamic range is great, but the D810 still does better.

The statements that it is ahead of the others, is overtrown, it is a very capable and high performing camera, however there are other alternatives with their own quality (as expected).

Vincent

No reaction on the DXO mark highest score? (as expected since it talks sensor not system)

Also look up Matt Granger`s video on the Comlite Nikon adaptor with VR and AF support, not ready yet.

=======

I finally got to look myself at the DXO mark score, it is surely an impressive machine.
However compared to the D750 not convincing to me, at this moment my replacement of the D70s will probably become the D750.
Comlite also first has to convince, but this might be for my A7s a reasonable solution in version 2 or 3.

Last edited: