New to photography

Chattzx

Hey guys! My name is Kyle and I have recently got into photography and purchased a Nikon D5200. I am now wondering if I should return the 5200 in favor of the D7000. I know the 5200 is a tad easier to learn but with so many hidden functions deep in the setting I wonder if as a starter I would be better off learning the right way. Any thoughts on switching to the D7000 since they are closely priced? I shoot a lot of scenery, cars and other general stuff like that. Picture quality is my priority and I'd like a camera I can use for a good amount of time without it feeling outdated. Thank you!

Last edited:

Pretzel

1) Welcome to the forums!

2) Any DSLR is going to be good for learning as a starter. Where the controls/options/settings are, whether on a button or in a menu, aren't going to change your efforts in learning the "right way". Learning the "right way" simply means that you know what all the basics are and how they effect the intended shot. (Basics: ISO, shutter speed, aperture) I remember that my D3100 had all of those on dials or quick button/dial combos, so they're not really all that buried at all, and if the D3100 would work that way, I'm sure the 5200 will as well. It's a very capable camera in the right hands.

The D7x00 series will open up your options for lenses down the road, as you can use AF and AF-S, where the 5200 needs the AF-S unless you want to go full manual focus with your shooting... IMO, if you do go for one of the Dx000 series, I'd recommend the D7100 or higher, though. Not a whole lot more, but with less of the back-focus issues that some of the D7000 bodies had.

Good luck, whatever you decide, and HAVE FUN with the shooting!

Chattzx

Thanks for the input! And yeah I understand about learning everything is most important. So would you say for longevity the D7000 would be the better choice considering the rather equal price? I'd love the D7100 but Id rather stay under the 1k price range for my first DSLR. I can always upgrade later. I'm just hoping the D7000 isn't "old" considering its been around for about 5 years. I like the sealed body and the little bit bigger grip it has over the 5200.

skater

Thanks for the input! And yeah I understand about learning everything is most important. So would you say for longevity the D7000 would be the better choice considering the rather equal price? I'd love the D7100 but Id rather stay under the 1k price range for my first DSLR. I can always upgrade later. I'm just hoping the D7000 isn't "old" considering its been around for about 5 years. I like the sealed body and the little bit bigger grip it has over the 5200.

I'm not sure what you mean by longevity. The D7000 will be a capable camera for years to come, as will the D5200. Even my D70, which I bought new in 2005, is still a very capable camera.

Needa

Challenge Team
I purchased a d7100 referb body for under 1k. I am much happier with it than the 5100 I had previously.

Chattzx

I'd love to get the 7100 but I just don't want to spend over 1k on my first DSLR. Would the 7000 be a good camera to learn on and be about the same image quality as my D5200?

Chattzx

Last edited: