Lag when taking pics in Raw

sorabh

Hi Guys

Has anyone else noticed a lag in shutter speed when taking pics in the raw format? (even if shutter speed is fast i.e 1/500th)

Would changing a SD card help this? I have an integral 45mb/s SD Card. Im finding that im missing key shots when taking candid photos...

thanks!

John Thomson

I dont seem to suffer this problem but I am using a 90mb/s SD Card, as you may be aware shooting in RAW does produce larger files so it will take a little longer to write them to the card, I can take about 6 continuous shots before the camera forces me to wait while it writes the files to the card

paul04

I have a 60mb/s sandisk SD card, and don't have any problems,

Save the pictures you have on the card, then format the card within the camera menu's and see if that improves the speed.

If not, you could try another card.

Horoscope Fish

Hi Guys

Has anyone else noticed a lag in shutter speed when taking pics in the raw format? (even if shutter speed is fast i.e 1/500th)

Would changing a SD card help this? I have an integral 45mb/s SD Card. Im finding that im missing key shots when taking candid photos...

thanks!
Shutter Lag is a delay between pressing the shutter button and the shutter actually activating; it has nothing to do with the speed of the SD card.

If you are having lag times between shots between shots that *might* be related to the time required by your camera to write to the card. I'm not sure what you mean by an "integral" SD card, but a 45 MB/s card should be plenty fast enough for casual shooting unless you're shooting on Continuous High and flooding the buffer.

sorabh

Shutter Lag is a delay between pressing the shutter button and the shutter actually activating; it has nothing to do with the speed of the SD card.

If you are having lag times between shots between shots that *might* be related to the time required by your camera to write to the card. I'm not sure what you mean by an "integral" SD card, but a 45 MB/s card should be plenty fast enough for casual shooting unless you're shooting on Continuous High and flooding the buffer.

Thanks for the response Paul. Integral is just the brand but yes I agree 45mbs should be plenty fast enough. I do not shoot in continuous. It's not so much a lag caused by writing to the SD card as it is a lag between the time I half depress the shutter to focus and actually take the shot, ....... and then recompose. Maybe I need to just accept that the D3200 is a lower camera.

sorabh

Interesting - thanks for letting me know.

PS Watch phlearn on youtube - his videos for lightroom and photoshop are amazing. I'm originally a photoshop editor but started taking photography seriously only recently : )

Horoscope Fish

Thanks for the response Paul. Integral is just the brand but yes I agree 45mbs should be plenty fast enough. I do not shoot in continuous. It's not so much a lag caused by writing to the SD card as it is a lag between the time I half depress the shutter to focus and actually take the shot, ....... and then recompose. Maybe I need to just accept that the D3200 is a lower camera.
Ah... Okay. What auto-focus mode and area mode are you using? Some *are* faster than others.

sorabh

I think youve just hit the nail on the head as I now recall its only after I changed the focus mode that ive noticed the lag!

I use single autofocus (the one with only one focus point).

Woodyg3

Contributor
Shutter lag would have nothing to do with jpeg or RAW, processing of those files happens after the shutter fires. I think Paul is on the right track, the camera takes a bit of time to focus.