1/50 Shutter Speed Possible?

pawow

I bought my D5300 because I heard it had some pretty good video features. Saw the video below https://vimeo.com/104068226 and noticed that in the description, the guy said he shot it at a shutter speed of 1/50. I noticed that I can't get a 1/50 shutter speed when I try to adjust the settings. The closest I can get is either 1/45 or 1/60.

How to Manipulate Movie Exposure on Your Nikon D5300 - For Dummies

The link above also mentions that a shutter speed of 1/50 is attainable. Would anyone know how I can get this shutter speed?

Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Last edited:

10 Gauge

I'm not sure if I am following 100%, but if we are talking about video, then 1/50fps is probably for PAL sources. If you're in North America, we use NTSC which is 60fps. If you really want 50, try and see if you can set your camera to shoot in PAL instead of NTSC.

WayneF

I think it is still true of digital that a PAL mode video can only be watched on a PAL TV. You need to set PAL or NTSC correctly for your countries TV system (digital is actually ATSC, but same idea). If you are seeking 50, you probably are in a PAL country? NTSC countries generally say 1/60 shutter speed, the idea being that a shutter speed 2x faster than the standard PAL 25 or NTSC 30 fps frame rate is generally good for movies.

For any specific "shutter speed", select camera M or S mode, and then simply set 1/50 second shutter speed (regular shutter speed dial). This is true of video modes too.

You can shoot 1/50 second shutter speed at 25 fps or 50 fps or 30 fps frame rate, which is a different menu.

Last edited:

pawow

I'm referring to the shutter speed and not the fps. I have no problem shooting in 50 fps, as you mentioned all you need to do is switch to PAL. It's getting a shutter speed of exactly 1/50 of a second that I'm having trouble doing. Is this possible with the nikon D5300?

WayneF

I'm referring to the shutter speed and not the fps. I have no problem shooting in 50 fps, as you mentioned all you need to do is switch to PAL. It's getting a shutter speed of exactly 1/50 of a second that I'm having trouble doing. Is this possible with the nikon D5300?

Ah so... then your camera is set for exposures in 1/2 stop increments. It should be set to 1/3 stop increments. Menu B1. That will then give 130 .. 1/40 .. 1/50 .. 1/60 second steps. 1/45 is the half stop in between these two third stops.

1/3 stops is simply more precise, more accurate, than the more coarse 1/2 stop steps. 1/3 stop steps was the default, leave it there.

Last edited:

pawow

Ah so... then your camera is set for exposures in 1/2 stop increments. It should be set to 1/3 stop increments. Menu B1. That will then give 130 .. 1/40 .. 1/50 .. 1/60 second steps. 1/45 is the half stop in between these two third stops.

1/3 stops is simply more precise, more accurate, than the more coarse 1/2 stop steps. 1/3 stop steps was the default, leave it there.

This worked!! Thanks a lot @WayneF :)