D80 upgrade advice

jascarb

Hi

I've a D80.

I like to take 'live' indy rock band pics.

It's fine if the stage is well lit, but actually I'd really like to support the proper indy rock gigs where they haven't got any lighting. And they move quick.

The D80 isn't fast enough.

And it's proper noisy on the fastest ISO.

What should I upgrade to?

J

jascarb

I know, but it's about value, isn't it?

If the answer is a D7100 for £700 or so, then maybe I'd put away £100 a month and get it when I've saved the money.

But if there's a cheaper way that gets me more than halfway there, that's better.

And if there's something amazing at £1,500 .. maybe, but that's a struggle because a) it's not my core business, and b) the answer to my problem also lies in my lenses so I have to spend there too.

J

jascarb

And with regard to the lenses, I've a rubbish Tamron 55-200mm which obviously needs replacing, the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-80 and a Sigma 10-20mm. The Nikkor opens up to f3.5 but so if my problem is more cost-effectively solved with glass, then that's the route I'll take.

SteveH

Welcome to the forum!
I'm just down the road from you, in York... My wife & I love visiting your town!

I guess it depends firstly on your lenses... The faster the better - I would say the best for what you are shooting would be a 35 or 50 mm F1.8, they would be the cheapest upgrade if you don't have them already.

After that, I'd save longer and see if you can go full frame. I have the D7100, and while it will perform much better at high ISO than your D80, I wouldn't call it ideal fr low light. I have taken a lot of shots at ISO 4000 - 6400 and they are noisy but usable with lots of post-production - I'm not sure I would sell any shots I'd taken at that ISO, but then I'm certainly no master at noise reduction!

Given the size of investment, maybe consider borrowing or renting a body for a gig and see how you get on with it?

J-see

The 50mm f/1.8 might directly help with low light performance. It was the first lens I got after the kit and it made a whole difference. It's cheap too.

When it comes to cams, for DX the D7200 does well but if you want serious performance, the D750 is better. But it's not a very cheap cam and you'd probably have to start upgrading your lenses too.

traceyjj

Given the size of investment, maybe consider borrowing or renting a body for a gig and see how you get on with it?
I have to agree with this option... and maybe rent a fast lens to try on your existing body to see if that works well for you...

And, welcome to the forum :)

Elliot87

If I was in your situation I would look at getting a good condition D700 such as this www.mpbphotographic.co.uk - Used Secondhand Nikon D700 I have not used this camera but I know it is extemely well liked, is Full frame and should out perform the D7100 in low light situations for roughly the same price. It is not as high res as the newer Nikons but still offers you 12MP which is more than your D80. I'm fairly sure this would be a good upgrade for you.

Horoscope Fish

Hi

I've a D80.

I like to take 'live' indy rock band pics.

It's fine if the stage is well lit, but actually I'd really like to support the proper indy rock gigs where they haven't got any lighting. And they move quick.

The D80 isn't fast enough.

And it's proper noisy on the fastest ISO.

What should I upgrade to?

J
I'd suggest the D7100 or the D5300. If you don't need/want all the features of the D7100, don't pay for them and get the 5300 instead. IMO, right now, the D5300 hits the "sweet spot" on the Nikon Price vs Performance matrix. My girlfriend shoots with one and the image quality is outstanding with decent glass. It would also be several steps up in performance from your current D80 and hopefully leave you some money left over for some worthy glass to go with it.

RON_RIP

I would look into a refurbished D7000, a highly underrated camera. It is by far the best Nikon I have ever owned and the price is right.