Steel Wool Lightpainting - Soooo cool!

10 Gauge

The following shots are from a local friend of mine who comes and shoots with me frequently. Recently she found out about lightpainting using steel wool. Has anyone else done this? This is some of the coolest stuff ever. Unfortunately she took these a few days before my new gear arrived so I didn't get to partake, but this is on my MUST TRY list for sure!

Do you have any of your own? Please post them if you do!

17893559638_df035ca86a_b.jpg

17460941073_8328b4e3ca_b.jpg

17893560558_e33ced6720_b.jpg

Pretzel

So... hook a steel whisk on the end of a chain, stuff it with wool, light and shoot? I notice the spinners are wearing hoodies, so guessing that (and perhaps gloves) are recommended? Have seen 'em done before, but now I wanna do it.

MartinCornwall

[MENTION=39102]10 Gauge[/MENTION] Thanks @Pretzel Correct. Hoodies to help stop hair burning and the gloves are more to prevent blisters from the spinning of the chain, which I found out the hard way :-(

Use a 9v battery to light the wool as it's easier in the wind than a lighter. Don't keep both in same pocket or bag though.....

Pretzel

Yeah, we've used batteries and steel wool to light campfires in less than favorable conditions, was just wondering about the photo set-up. Thanks for the info!

10 Gauge

Just remember, it's not just the person spinning the thing that requires protection...

These Guys Destroyed Their Nikon Lens for Steel Wool

That's no good! That was an amazing shot they got though, love the angle of it. I run B+W XS-Pro Clear 007M Multi-Resistant Nano Coating filters on every one of my lenses just for times like this.... Much rather replace a ~$100 filter than send off a lens for a front element replacement.

BackdoorArts

That's no good! That was an amazing shot they got though, love the angle of it. I run B+W XS-Pro Clear 007M Multi-Resistant Nano Coating filters on every one of my lenses just for times like this.... Much rather replace a ~$100 filter than send off a lens for a front element replacement.

Can't get one of those for a 14-24mm f2.8 though. Or my much cheaper Sigma fisheye for that matter.