D3200 not recognised on Windows 7 PC

chriscotters

Afternoon all,

I've recently purchased a D3200 [my first SLR] and am in the process of trying to upload my first round of pictures to my laptop.

It seems this is not meant to be! I've updated the camera firmware to 1.04 and updated all the USB drivers on my laptop.

2 things are happening;

- IF the laptop recognises the camera then the driver installation fails [it says something like the device was not connected or similar]
- 9 times out of 10 [even after rebooting the laptop or disconnecting the USB cable/turning off the camera] there is nothing at all.

I can put the memory card into my old digital camera and transfer the images that way but it doesn't seem to be the best long term solution! Anyone have any experience of this or advice to fix?

Thanks

Chris

ryan20fun

Thats odd, All devices detected should show there, Even the non working ones.

Perhaps using a card reader would be an alternative, I've seen that recomended over connecting the camera.

Second: You should no need any drivers to access the camera( Well I don't need them on Win8 )
Have you installed Nikon NX View? (Or whatever the new version is called)

HTH

Horoscope Fish

So you're connecting the camera to the computer using a USB cable? You might have an easier time using a media card reader and uploading your photos right off the SD card instead of connecting the camera.

If you really want to continue using the cable, I'd suggest you install some Nikon software, even if you don't intend to use it, because this will also install the required device drivers.

ryan20fun

One other thing: The camera/PC might not like using a long cable(1M+), I have to use the short USB cable that came with my external USB HDD.

HTH

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Not sure what computer you are using, but my laptop does not recognize various devices that I connect using the USB ports at times. I think the ports themselves are flakey. I have to plug cable in and out a few times before they get recognized. As a side note, I only use a card reader for my picture transfers. The USB cable connection is used for other devices or gps etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chriscotters

Thanks guys,

I can transfer off the memory card directly but it's annoying me now so want to work out why! I have been using the supplied USB cable which is nice and short and I have Nikon NX or whatever it is called installed too [I'll double check it's the latest version].

Chris

Horoscope Fish

Thanks guys,

I can transfer off the memory card directly but it's annoying me now so want to work out why! I have been using the supplied USB cable which is nice and short and I have Nikon NX or whatever it is called installed too [I'll double check it's the latest version].
If you have the proper drivers installed, the camera is turned on and connected to a USB port and not being recognized by the Device Manager, I'd have to say there's an issue with the USB port. Do other devices work in that same port, because if they do, something's not adding up... The only other thing I can think of would be that the cable you're using is bad.

chriscotters

The port works with other devices [I put the memory card in my old Casio Digital camera and it was recognised] so it's not the port.

Maybe the cable is dodgy [it's a different one from my casio so don't have a like for like to test] but it has occasionally recognised the camera and given me the not connected/device unplugged message].

Chris

John Thomson

Card reader is the way to go, too many problems with cables and cable types and devices, I have never tried my D3200 with the cable I just may give it a try now

paul04

I know when I connect my camera to the PC it will only work in 2 out of the 6 usb sockets, nothing else has a problem with the sockets, just the camera,

I just put it down to being temperamental.

fotojack

One thing I NEVER do is connect my camera to my computer. I use a card reader to download to the computer....much faster AND safer! Also, another thing to consider........some USB ports are incompatible with some (not all) devices. In other words, if you only have USB 3.0 on your computer, and your device only recognizes USB 2.0.......you may have a problem. You SHOULD have at least one USB 2.0 port on your computer to plug into. Try that and see if it works if you REALLY want to connect your camera to your computer.

chriscotters

At the moment just downloading to 'My Pictures'. I've got the Nikon ViewNX software but never really dabbled with editing. This is my first SLR so just getting into it really.

I'm going to check the cable with an alternative and if that doesn't work I'll put it down to a temperamental laptop. I'll pull the images directly off the memory card moving forwards anyway but I'd like to try and crack this just to stop it annoying me :)

It's a fairly old laptop so it wouldn't surprise me if it was just being awkward - it's just strange that other devices work fine in the same port.

Chris

nikonpup

i used "my pictures" with a card reader for many years, it worked great and was fast (jpeg). Very few if any computers had built in card readers when i went digital. External card readers where dirt cheap and still are.

thequeenscheese

you are trying with the camera turned on?

have you tried in another pic?

usb cables can be wired differently is it a new out of the box camera or could someone have put any cable in the box?

uninstall the usb driver from my devices restart then plug the camera in and turn it on and ditch any usb extension leads, I had an issue with one myself recently took me a while to figure out what was going on with the same temperamental symptoms your getting, or is sounds like your not getting enough power to/from the USB ports you could try a powerd ext USB hub or turning the power/gain up in the bios if it lets you

as for drivers the generic windows driver should be fine as the camera is designed to work without one from nikon ( read that somewhere), when I plug mine in it shows up under my computer as d3200 which you can open as an normal sd card does and copy over but as some others suggested to me I use nx2 and the cable, have you also checked your sd is a supported one?

you could also update your motherboards firmwhere for your chipset and anything else that's available, update your bios etc this could easily be your problem..

Last edited: