Nikons quality reptuation questioned

D_Rhondda

I purchased a D810 with the Nikon 28-300 lens in Dec 2014. I managed to damage them and got them repaired by Nikon UK. This took 4 weeks to receive it back - this is bad enough. I noticed that there was movement between the lens / camera body and a rattle. I returned it back to Nikon UK who informed me that it was to Nikon standards ! The rattle was caused by the pop up flash arm being loose and rattling when in the closed position but not there when popped up. Furthermore all the other D810's they had rattled. This is normal and acceptable to Nikon standards.
I did inform that my Partners D810 does not have either of these characteristics; and have 6 Nikon cameras between us and none of the others rattle. Nor have I ever found a rattle in any other cameras we have owned or handled,
SO, my question is; does Nikon say that it is acceptable to have a rattle in what is a fairly new and expensive camera? If so then their reputation for quality is questionable.
Does anyone else have a D810 that rattles?

mikew_RIP

If you are saying the rattle devolved after the repair then the camera needs returning to nikon with a covering letter,explaining its unacceptable,the problem is all company's employ staff to stonewall you if given the chance,i have read it about Canon.

D_Rhondda

I had the verbal response initially, then emailed their Gen Manager complaining about their repair dept and the response I received. Someone phoned me to arrange its return and they came to the same conclusion that it was normal and acceptable. Baffles me. An expensive camera should not rattle at all, new or repaired. Not sure where I can go next. Looked at Nikon headquarters and it redirects to Nikon EU.
I did explain the issues were not there when purchased or it would have gone straight back to the store. explained in email and verbally.

J-see

Mine doesn't rattle even when I shake it. It never did.

It could be part of the damage (if you dropped it) but even then, they should've fixed it.

Its Just Me

The dubious explanation that ALL D810s rattle seems (to me) to be a halfhearted attempt to forestall a class action lawsuit against Nikon EU. Ergo, if EVERYONES D810 rattles, then YOUR rattle is "normal", therefor nothing needs to be done.

This kind of tactic usually doesn't work, but they never seem to learn!

Wolfeye

If you are saying the rattle devolved after the repair then the camera needs returning to nikon with a covering letter,explaining its unacceptable,the problem is all company's employ staff to stonewall you if given the chance,i have read it about Canon.

Link? Canon promotes itself as having the best customer support in the industry and my one interaction with them bore that out.

10 Gauge

Link? Canon promotes itself as having the best customer support in the industry and my one interaction with them bore that out.

As a long long time Canon photographer until lately, they do have top notch customer service. I've had interactions with them on 5 or so occasions and can speak very highly of how well they handle their customers. This is one of the HUGE reasons Canon retains a lot of people from converting to Nikon.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I guess I don't understand what you mean when you say the pop up flash is rattling. Is there play in it so it moves side to side, is it partially popping up, or what? I'm wondering if this is a basic fit and finish issue, or if the repair was not done properly.

AC016

I purchased a D810 with the Nikon 28-300 lens in Dec 2014. I managed to damage them and got them repaired by Nikon UK. This took 4 weeks to receive it back - this is bad enough. I noticed that there was movement between the lens / camera body and a rattle. I returned it back to Nikon UK who informed me that it was to Nikon standards ! The rattle was caused by the pop up flash arm being loose and rattling when in the closed position but not there when popped up. Furthermore all the other D810's they had rattled. This is normal and acceptable to Nikon standards.
I did inform that my Partners D810 does not have either of these characteristics; and have 6 Nikon cameras between us and none of the others rattle. Nor have I ever found a rattle in any other cameras we have owned or handled,
SO, my question is; does Nikon say that it is acceptable to have a rattle in what is a fairly new and expensive camera? If so then their reputation for quality is questionable.
Does anyone else have a D810 that rattles?

Can you elaborate on the lens movement when it is attached on the camera? If the lens is ever so slightly (a mm or so) rotating, some lenses do do that when mounted. Now, if you know the rattle is caused by the little metal arm in the flash housing, i assume you had it fixed? If not, tell them to fix it. Are you sure the rattle was not there after you "damaged" your camera? I feel we are not getting the complete story here.

ditonics

Hi all, first post so be nice.
I had all my Canon gear stolen and decided to replace with Nikon; hope I don't end up regretting the decision.

So I have a brand new 810, never had a lens mounted on it and if you shake the body there is a rattle from the pop up flash, if you pop the flash up the rattle goes. Seems it is a "design feature".......Oh great bring back my Canon D5iii, that didn't rattle.

J-see

I had all my Canon gear stolen and decided to replace with Nikon; hope I don't end up regretting the decision.

So I have a brand new 810, never had a lens mounted on it and if you shake the body there is a rattle from the pop up flash, if you pop the flash up the rattle goes. Seems it is a "design feature".......Oh great bring back my Canon D5iii, that didn't rattle.

As long as my cam takes superb shots, it is allowed to rattle.

10 Gauge

Welcome! I too had my Canon gear stolen - was scammed out of all of my gear on eBay - and went Nikon. So far so good here!

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

johnj167

I have been shooting Nikon since 1967 and in all that time I have never had a problem with the equipment I have sent back for repair or just to have cleaned or calibrated. I hate that your dealings with Nikon hasn't been as pleasent as mine but maybe in your dealings with them you haven't been as forthright as you needed to be.