Tips for recreating this

Vinnydude

So I'm helping a friend who is redoing one of our local football teams website, and I've been tasked with recreating this image with one of their members wearing the team shirt.

slide-1.jpg

The background is fine, I have access to some stock images that would be suitable.

My main question is lighting and mostly post processing. It almost has a kind of metallic sheen to it.

Any suggestions on getting that sort of finish would be awesome!

Pretzel

Looks to me like some kind of tweaked HDR effect...

I agree. Looks like a full on straight flash behind a shoot through soft box or something (bit more directional than a shoot-through umbrella perhaps), maybe slightly off-center and planted low so as to fire straight into the stomach/chest area a bit, and an HDR applique.

rocketman122

HDR for certain.

the player is a copy paste to the background scene. lighting? I would say two flashes hitting him 45º. look at his forearms and chin for lighting direction.

Horoscope Fish

... Looks like a full on straight flash behind a shoot through soft box or something (bit more directional than a shoot-through umbrella perhaps), maybe slightly off-center and planted low so as to fire straight into the stomach/chest area a bit, and an HDR applique.

HDR for certain.

the player is a copy paste to the background scene. lighting? I would say two flashes hitting him 45º. look at his forearms and chin for lighting direction.
I soooo need to up my flash game.

Sorry... Just a uh... Just a random thought there.

wornish

Interesting that the responses so far are coming at the challenge from a shoot it in one go (dare I say film perspective). That's certainly the right way to do it if you can and have the right gear.
But..
You can create almost any look or feel with good post processing technique hence my earlier question.

dickelfan

That is straight up Joel Grimes look. He generally uses two hightlight flashes on the two back sides angled in, and then another light directly in the front. Went to one of his classes not long ago that was all about this. Do some youtube searches

Krs_2007

I have been researching these types of shots for a while. Yes it is flash, yes its a composite but the most I can find is desaturated sports pictures. It is very similar to HDR.

Its not really a specific style, but I these a bunch and haven't been able to figure it completely out yet.

Here is a desaturated photo, its not sports the but the processing applies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPixREc8l00

Also if you use Lightroom this may help.

Lightroom Presets - Desaturated Sports Photo Presets - Lightroom Killer Tips

I dont think its one way for every picture and you will have to play with it, but after you get it down you can create an action/preset or whatever shortcut for the software you use.

This guy comes as close to what I want to create, which is similar to your picture.

MATT HERNANDEZ PHOTOGRAPHY

Look at his stuff, they are composites but he is calling them conceptual.

Good luck