New with D810 video

Ruidoso Bill

I have been asked to video a dance performance that will last 3 plus hours. What would you knowledgeable folks recommend for camera settings and to later burn to a dvd. I had problems getting a 1 hour video to burn to a dvd, had to save it to flash and then burn it. Any suggestions appreciated. I am planning to have dual 32gb cards in the camera for 64gb total. I am shooting the video tomorrow.

Not sure about the d810 but most Nikons have a time limit on video so I would check that Use a program like Cyberlink to edit the video and you can burn from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruidoso Bill

Not sure about the d810 but most Nikons have a time limit on video so I would check that Use a program like Cyberlink to edit the video and you can burn from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am aware of the 20 minutes length (attempt to avoid video recorder taxes), just a simple press of the record button for that, I am wondering more about dropping the camera settings down and creating smaller files, wonder how low I can go and still have acceptable video quality?

I have both Adobe Premiere Elements and Nero Video 2015, had to buy and use Nero to burn a dvd that was home dvd/computer compatible, couldn't do it from adobe.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Anyway, any suggestions on shooting a 4 hour video and getting it on a dvd?

If I shoot in Normal, that's 8 29.59 minute segments = 4 hours, what's the best way to get that on a dvd?

Ruidoso Bill

I did a one hour 4 minute video the other day, deliverable was 6 dvd's. I used premiere elements and burned to dvd but they would not work on home style dvd players, I finally converted it to .flv flash and one hour ends up at 813 MB and used Nero to burn it, so I guess I could get 4 hours that way but the video quality and size suffers.

I am just way out of my comfort zone with video.

Last edited:

rocketman122

I have been asked to video a dance performance that will last 3 plus hours. What would you knowledgeable folks recommend for camera settings and to later burn to a dvd. I had problems getting a 1 hour video to burn to a dvd, had to save it to flash and then burn it. Any suggestions appreciated. I am planning to have dual 32gb cards in the camera for 64gb total. I am shooting the video tomorrow.

what about batteries? video recording goes through batteries like you cant believe.lighting? what conditions will there be? usually video with dslr is used in intercut in weddings. meaning the idea is to shoot short clips with various angles and lenses so the editor has footage to make a highlights video. but since youre just there to document then you have to do a constant roll.

you will be using a tripod, im assuming? video head? ball head? and you plan on staying at the same position just change panning left/right to record accordingly? dont forget white balance.
I hope its not too hot because ive seen videogs who shot for max recording times and the camera shut down on them from overheating. im not certain it will, or wont. im just mentioniong things that can happen.

I dont know editing so cant help you.

you might consider posting to a forum I frequent

Nikon HDSLR

a lot of talented folks there.

Ruidoso Bill

what about batteries? video recording goes through batteries like you cant believe.lighting? what conditions will there be? usually video with dslr is used in intercut in weddings. meaning the idea is to shoot short clips with various angles and lenses so the editor has footage to make a highlights video. but since youre just there to document then you have to do a constant roll.

you will be using a tripod, im assuming? video head? ball head? and you plan on staying at the same position just change panning left/right to record accordingly? dont forget white balance.
I hope its not too hot because ive seen videogs who shot for max recording times and the camera shut down on them from overheating. im not certain it will, or wont. im just mentioniong things that can happen.

I dont know editing so cant help you.

you might consider posting to a forum I frequent

Nikon HDSLR

a lot of talented folks there.

Dance performance on stage, not sure about lighting, never seen this particular performance. I normally shoot stills, first time for video and I have only done a dozen or so videos thus far. I can use both my D800 and D810 on separate tripods, use the 24-70 on one and the 70-200 on the other, and alternate between the two to keep them cool. I just shot over an hour straight with no issues and was still on my first battery, I have six so that shouldn't be a problem. It will be existing light (spots etc.), dancers don't like additional lighting. I have two manfrotto tripods, both the same with pan and tilt heads, not as smoothe as the fluid jobs but they get the job done. I will probaby use auto iso, that has worked pretty well for some of the performance still photography I have done. Should have said no and stayed with real estate photography. Thanks for the link.

Ruidoso Bill

OK, just an update and lessons learned. I shot for over 3 hours last nice and I am returning to shoot the performance tonight. I had the auto iso ceiling set too high and it would run up to 12,800 and had some significant grain in the dark areas. I will set the ceiling at 3200 for tonight. Second mistake was not having the MB-D12 grip on it, I have gotten away from using the grip when I have the camera on a tripod for real estate photography and bracketing to keep every thing still, one battery lasts about 1 1/2 hours and then I got a red low battery alert on the display. Tonight I will have the grip on it and simply pull out the one on the grip and it switches to the one in the camera body and then change them both at intermission. I used my 70-200 and was near the back of the auditorium, The lens enable me to capture the entire stage and zoom in a little for some single dancers, very happy with the lens performance. I was using an external mike and had the camera sensitivity set at 15 and was using the -10 db switch on the mike but it was still a little hot a couple of times for the music levels, drop it down to 10 for tonight. I had the quality at normal and it wrote 8.5 GB to the card, no memory issues. The sensor never overheated so that was also a good thing.

Anyway, lessons learned and should have a good night with the performance, last night was a dress rehearsal.

dennybeall

I always shoot video at the highest quality HD setting and then after working it with Photoshop CC to fix any parts I don't like I can save various sized versions.
Don't do it often but this works well for me.

Ruidoso Bill

Just another update, I exported the video as mpeg, good for burning to dvd, the problem is it is still 6.35 GB so I have ordered dual layer dvd media (already have dual layer burner) to see how it plays on home dvd player. The only other option is Blue-Ray which will hold up to 50 GB but I will need to buy a new burner. Either way it is looking pretty good dvd wise.

Ruidoso Bill

I ended up burning the Dual Layer DVD directly from Adobe Premiere Elements and it worked great, all 2 1/2 hours of video, project done except for burning 60 copies of the DVD @ $20 each makes for a good pay day, for actually two evenings of work. It plays fine on both my home dvd players, should have gone with blue-ray for a project this large. Wish I had a faster than 8x writer, 16 +/- minutes per dvd.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

A final note for anyone that trys this in the future. I saved the disc image for copying on the hard drive, saves a lot of time over doing a disc copy and recreating the image. I also ran a second burner hooked up to a usb port and the nero burn software allows for multiple burners and using two cuts your time in half. In contrast to a time reduction, my burners actually perform better (less errors or failed disc) at 4X or 6X, not the max 8X so I save a little time burning two and add some back with slower burn speeds. I have burned 45 out of a 50 pack successfully, five were lost to experimentation (also known as ignorance). I have ordered another spindle of blanks to complete the job.

Running two isn't too bad, if I ever do a job this large again I may invest in a duplicating machine where you can burn up to 7 at a time., they run $250-350 for a setup that will burn Dual Layer. Blue-ray is another option but that will limit compatibility to just those that own Blue-ray players, probably the norm in the near future. I also checked on duplicating services, they run about $2 each for dual layer.

Anyway if anyone ever needs help burning large dvd's give me a shout if I can be of help.