E Series 50mm

uriah07

Is anyone using this lens (E Series 50mm) with their D3100? I've noticed that it doesn't like to shoot in any mode other than manual and I also have to shoot in sunlight. Is there a setting I'm missing? This is an older lens, but I remember seeing post with success stories while using this lens. Maybe I missed something. Please inform! Thanks in advance!

jcottone45

Usually when using the Non CPU lenses & the 50mm series E is one of them, you have to set your camera to manual mode & switch any auto features on the camera to manual as well. At least I have to do that on my D300s I have used it my old lenses on it with very good results.

Joe

Eye-level

Banned
I would think the camera should still meter even in manual mode but I may be wrong. If it will meter automatically then it just a simple matter of selecting an aperture and then focusing...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Even if it doesn't meter, you can set the exposure time, the aperture, take one shot, look at your result AND histogram, decide if you want more or less light, make another test until you are happy, and then take all the shots you want. You don't have to wait to see the results. This is the main beauty of digital.
I used to work in studios where we shot a lot of Polaroids before exposing large format transparencies, we didn't have the choice then.

uriah07

Thanks. @Eye-level I set my aperture to 1.8 and had much better results as far as lighting went. @Marcel I will try what you suggested as well. I'm still new to this so I'm not as familiar with everything you mentioned, but it looks like I have some research ahead of me. Thanks!

Eye-level

Banned
Marcel that is an excellent point! I can't wait till I get a hold of a digital body Nikon...my sister was going to give me a spare D40 she had but gave it to my mom instead. Bad sister... :( LOL

Surely any of our Nikon DSLRs will auto meter in manual mode??? Please someone who shoots old Nikkors on new bodies let us know how this works. I for one would greatly appreciate it as I am sure uriah07 would as well.

aperture of 1.8 is wide open on the series E 50...in daylight you will be shooting high ISO with that aperture. I think because of the crop factor you may gain in DOF but someone more experienced than I with the digital stuff will have to inform you on that. Good luck I bet that lens will allow you to make some great half length portraits...

Eye-level

Banned
Here is what I have learned...it would be good if someone could verify this information because I obtained it from surfing the net and you know how information goes on the net....

Basically if you have an old AIS MF lens (note the Series E lenses are "AIS" type lens because they have the notch however I am not completely sure they will meter on the bodies that follow) mounted on a d2 d3 d200 d300 d700 d7000 and maybe a few others you can get matrix metering and aperture value...anything else and no meter or other goodies...this is done via the non CPU lens selection...apparently none of the others eg D5000 will let you matrix meter.

The 50/1.8 would become an effective 80mmish lens with a 1.6X crop factor...I bet it would shoot some darn good portraits!

uriah07

I still have no idea what you're talking about Eye-level.. but I will take this as a chance to grow! Thanks for the information. I love this forum because I learn new stuff all the time. Here are some shots taken with the lens with an f/1.8. Thanks again guys! 001 Pepper.jpg001 Drip.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
It's all good my friend...here are a couple of Series E 50/1.8 shots taken with a 1975 model Nikon F2 for you! It is a great lens for the ghitas...it ain't the sharpest lens on the block and it's bokeh is not exactly Jackson Pollock good but it is a first rate lens...and sort of a historical precedent - lots of plastic which heralds lens construction to come!!! :)

Monty.jpg

Ame.jpg

Last edited: