The end of a faithful friend....

theregsy

I would like to say goodbye to a faithful friend, that stuck by me in foul weather, took the knocks and came willingly back for more, a reliable source of experimentation and exploration of what could be done in photography and producer of some of the finest shots I have taken. I know that it technically wasn't 100% Nikon but my old faithful Fuji Finepix S2 Pro has died, after being bought cheap off ebay and worked hard over the last 3 years (over 10,000 pics myself) the sensor appears to have gone. So fairwell trusted sidekick and goodbye, while I have other Digital SLR's the S2 was my first and will always be special. :(

Silverband 2010-3878_DCE.jpgSilverband 2010-3598_DCE.jpgSilverband 2010-3918_DCE.jpg

bluenoser

Banned
Sorry to hear that - you always remember your first! :)

The S2 Pro is a fine camera and obviously you used it to great effect! Very nice photos - well done.

fotojack

Sorry for your loss. A fine camera gone to camera heaven. Beautiful shots of the hawks and the owl. Super sharp and crisp. Well done.

theregsy

Well, I am changing my name to Dr Frankenstein, a while back I bought a damaged S2 pro for spare parts (just in case I cracked a screen) So in a mood of well its broken anyway I dissected my S2 and the broken one and swapped the sensor over, I didn't have a lot of hope of it working. I put it all back together and switched on, I am completely flabbergasted to report ITS ALIVE :)
Picture quality has gone from this:
DSCF7376_DCE.JPG

To this:
DSCF7400_DCE.JPG

So I am back to being a 2 DSLR user and now DSLR repair as well :) On a funny point I know how old the S2 is, what it is developed from etc etc, but its a bit of a shock when you take the back off an find the twin dimples to load 35mm film into LOL

Last edited:

theregsy

I knew that it was a fusion between Nikon and Fuji, but when you take it to pieces it becomes aparent how little modification was made to the original Nikon body, and that the 2 circuit boards etc are just literally bolted on. Tickled me that my DSLR looked like it could be put back to film use with little modification :) Glad the old monster is working again though, don't know how long it will last but its still a cult classic camera and as long as I can keep it working I won't be getting rid of it.

theregsy

Toppers, apart from a bad case of curiosity about how things work it was a gamble with no loosing bet really, I had a chance to fix a dead camera, which if it didn't work meant I ended up with a dead camera, so it was worth a try. Apart from being careful as the components are a little more delicate its no different to taking a laptop to bits to upgrade it. But if any of you need a Fuji S2 pros' sensor replaced I might be able to help LOL :)

Eye-level

Banned
I contacted Sover Wong...the man when it comes to F2s...if anyone could convert/hack a F2 to digital...figital...it would be him...this is what he said -

"Hi Jeff,

It's technically feasible but practically very difficult and uneconomical.

Regards,

Sover"

Sounds a lot like my wife and children frankly...LOL

Regsy this is great stuff man...you have me studying S2 Pros...haha :)

BTW the concert/festival work is amazing stuff sir...makes me want to load a roll of Fuji Press 800 and go to a concert!

theregsy

Thanks mate, the reason I have the Fuji, and d2x, is bacuse of geting a buzz out of concert/festival photography so that makes me smile. Thanks again :)

theregsy

On an update type note, the s2 is still going strong, but if you ever swap your sensor out, remember to clean it before you put it back together again, the amount of dust in there is phenomenal! LOL well I will remember for next time, stupid silly mistake really, but one learns from such things! ;)