Woolsack Races

Iansky

We had the local woolsack races last weekend near where I live, the children run with a pillow in a hessian bag, the male adults run with a full size sack of wool that weighs around 56lb in weight as well as being awkward, the course is up a very steep hill and the winning time was around 1min 40s so very good!

There was plenty of entertainment on the day and the weather was good.

Here is a small selection with the full set here: 571 Photography

tetbury_woolsack_41.jpg

tetbury_woolsack_7.jpg

tetbury_woolsack_6.jpg

tetbury_woolsack_23.jpg

tetbury_woolsack_37.jpg

And some of the competitors

tetbury_woolsack_24.jpg

tetbury_woolsack_25.jpg

tetbury_woolsack_31.jpg

tetbury_woolsack_32.jpg

tetbury_woolsack_38.jpg

Iansky

Thanks Gents,

We certainly have some quirky events here in the UK and especially here in the Cotswolds, the same day as the woolsack we had the "Cheese rolling race" where a large cheese is rolled down a very steep slope and the competitors, run, fall, slide and roll down the hill the winner being the person that catches the cheese and survives - loads of broken limbs!!

The woolsack races is less hazardous but none the less enough to make the lungs scream and total collapse at the end - well what do you expect running up a steep hill with a 56lb woolsack on your shoulders, no handles to hold .

Wacky - absolutely, boring - never!

jay_dean

Thanks Gents,

We certainly have some quirky events here in the UK and especially here in the Cotswolds, the same day as the woolsack we had the "Cheese rolling race" where a large cheese is rolled down a very steep slope and the competitors, run, fall, slide and roll down the hill the winner being the person that catches the cheese and survives - loads of broken limbs!!
The Cheese Rolling is quite a famous event now due to its notoriety, even heard of it up 'ere. Weren't the Health & Safety bods trying to ban this one?

Iansky

Hi Jay dean,

There were some many broken limbs that the local council banned it and used H&S as an excuse, a couple of years later it started up again unofficially and has continued ever since - still get injuries but it is a risk all who take part agree to face.

We certainly have a good choice of different events in this part of the UK - makes life interesting and photographically rewarding.

jay_dean

Hi Jay dean,

There were some many broken limbs that the local council banned it and used H&S as an excuse, a couple of years later it started up again unofficially and has continued ever since - still get injuries but it is a risk all who take part agree to face.

We certainly have a good choice of different events in this part of the UK - makes life interesting and photographically rewarding.

Ah right, good to here that its kicked up again. You've got your application in to participate in the next competition no doubt?;)

Iansky

Not even with a body suit of airbags - one very steep slope full of holes, ridges and obstacles to get you rolling.

Iansky

Thanks Guys,

It is a globally famous race and in the past has had teams from Japan as well as other nations - to date, no foreign team has ever beaten local teams.........it is a heck of a challenge as the sacks are hard to grip effectively when running!

jay_dean

No chance of broken limbs here, but another quirky British event all the same. This quaint village where i go sometimes has a scarecrow competition. They're all over, on the street, in most gardens. All the villagers seem to have bought into it, and i'll bet the competition is secretly fierce. Only took one shot, as my battery ran out (school boy error!)
scarecr.jpg

montignac

Having been to see it many times in my past, I can assure you that injuries do occur, mainly in the way of badly scraped skin from falling onto the road but have also seen broken ankles as 56lbs on your back if you fall does not tend to do you good. All said I loved to watch it as I had friends who competed. I was never allowed to as I had a knee cap removed after a rugby accident.