Infrared Photography via G10

TedG954

My 590nm converted Canon G10 arrived this morning from Kolari. So far, I am impressed. They answered all of my inquiries quickly and the camera turn-around was about a week. That's pretty fast. They packed my camera far better than I did when I sent it. Total cost, including shipping was $125. The G10 had been sitting in its box for almost 2 years. Now, I can make use of it. I would use Kolari again, and I recommend their services. Below is my first IR photo for posting. Now, I just have to learn how to use it.

Second IR Photo.jpg

PapaST

Nice work Ted. My experience was a little bumpier with Kolari but overall I was pleased and would use them again. Looks like you're off to a great start.

How is the post processing with the Canon so far? That's been my biggest challenge but I'm getting the hang of it. I think next is really understanding what would make a great IR photo.

Again, nice work Ted and keep'em coming.

480sparky

My 590nm converted Canon G10 arrived this morning from Kolari. So far, I am impressed. They answered all of my inquiries quickly and the camera turn-around was about a week. That's pretty fast. They packed my camera far better than I did when I sent it. Total cost, including shipping was $125. The G10 had been sitting in its box for almost 2 years. Now, I can make use of it. I would use Kolari again, and I recommend their services. Below is my first IR photo for posting. Now, I just have to learn how to use it.

Kewl! I bought a P7100 for the express purpose of a 720nm conversion. I hope to get that done soon.

TedG954

Nice work Ted. My experience was a little bumpier with Kolari but overall I was pleased and would use them again. Looks like you're off to a great start.

How is the post processing with the Canon so far? That's been my biggest challenge but I'm getting the hang of it. I think next is really understanding what would make a great IR photo.

Again, nice work Ted and keep'em coming.

Thanks. I'm the kind of guy that has six pieces left over after assembling anything.... in other words, I learn the hard way. I'm just playing with the camera and learning along the way. I'll try to develop a repeatable process, if I live long enough. So far, I've learned that having your preferred settings in the camera, prior to snapping the shutter will determine the resulting photo (duh). The different in-camera WB settings make a lot of difference. In any case, I'm enjoying the whole experience.

PS.... I had read your post about the re-assembly problem with Kolari before I sent mine. I put a note in with my camera stating "Please be sure re-assembly is correct." And, it was. Thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited:

TedG954

What I Learned Today.... don't expect your camera to do more than it is capable of. If you convert a DSLR, with the ability to use various lenses, you will have far more quality-capabilities than I have in using a Point 'n Shoot. Within it's ability, my G10 is fine. But, long shots of landscapes are going to be of lesser quality than photos closer in for better focusing. Lesson learned.

5-30-15 Berea Falls IR PS     2.jpg

Michael J.

Because of this thread and great pics, I start to fall in love with infrared. (I will not do it by myself), but like to follow this awesome thread.