AF-S 35mm 1.8 shooting tips

nightWolf

Hi all,

I just recived my shiny new AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 over the weekend and so far i'm loving it (my first lens - apart from the kit lens).

As usual, i took plenty of shots over the weekend, both indoors and outdoors - the sharpness and bokeh is great. Some of the photo's though were dissapointing. Looking at them on a computer revealed why. Some indoor shots seemed slightly blurry, owning to the fact that i was shooting in Aperture mode, and i completely forgot to change my ISO - which was left at 100. Hence the shutter speed was a little slow 1/20 - and with no VR, i assume the blur was due to my movements.

As i love it, but i need to get to grips better with it i.e. would you ever use this at stops like f/22, f18?
What's a sharp aperture for landscape buildings?

Does anyone have any tips for shooting with this lens?

Thanks in advance.

Carolina Photo Guy

Hi all,

I just recived my shiny new AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 over the weekend and so far i'm loving it (my first lens - apart from the kit lens).

As usual, i took plenty of shots over the weekend, both indoors and outdoors - the sharpness and bokeh is great. Some of the photo's though were dissapointing. Looking at them on a computer revealed why. Some indoor shots seemed slightly blurry, owning to the fact that i was shooting in Aperture mode, and i completely forgot to change my ISO - which was left at 100. Hence the shutter speed was a little slow 1/20 - and with no VR, i assume the blur was due to my movements.

As i love it, but i need to get to grips better with it i.e. would you ever use this at stops like f/22, f18?
What's a sharp aperture for landscape buildings?

Does anyone have any tips for shooting with this lens?

Thanks in advance.

The MOST important tip I can give is...

Shoot anything and everything. Try a shot at every f-stop and every shutter speed.

If you really want to play with the big boys, you need to have a feel for what any lens will do at any setting.

And this is coming from the guy that does not care about the settings. How-ever, I know WHEN to go manual

and when to just let the camera gods handle it. :)

Hope this helps.

Carolina Photo Guy

OK, I missed something along the way... Where are these camera gods you are referring to. They seemed to have passed me by:D

The path to their temple is arduous, grasshopper. But it is clear.

Rotate the magic ring on the top of the aforementioned camera (D3100) to the position of sublime nirvana (Auto) and let the camera gods deliver the miracle.

Now go forth and multiply thine images! :)

Andy Liang

I just got mine last week and im loving it. Here are some of the photos I took. I was hoping yall can point out stuff i need to improve on

Thanks,

Andy

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Last edited:

Andy Liang

Despite all the success ive had with this lens, the only thing that i do not like about this lens is its autofocus speed...its wayyyy too slow!!!

fotojack

Andy, I have a question for you; in your profile picture, there are two people........a guy and a girl. Which one are you? :) Andy could be short for Andrea. Or......are you the guy behind the girl in the picture? :) Just curious. :)

Andy Liang

Andy, I have a question for you; in your profile picture, there are two people........a guy and a girl. Which one are you? :) Andy could be short for Andrea. Or......are you the guy behind the girl in the picture? :) Just curious. :)

haha im the guy...short for andrew...lol