SB-910 with D810 do not go off anymore

2Charlie

I just got the Nikon 810 with SB-910 and the flash was working fine. However, today the speedlight do not flash anymore. Any suggestion on how to troubleshoot this issue is much appreciated.

Bill16

My sb-800 has a test button to check the flash to see it works without taking a photo! Does the sb-910 have the same button, that you could check? Also I highly recommend never using regular batteries in the flash, due to possible corrosion! Is the flash showing anything on the display?

2Charlie

My sb-800 has a test button to check the flash to see it works without taking a photo! Does the sb-910 have the same button, that you could check? Also I highly recommend never using regular batteries in the flash, due to possible corrosion! Is the flash showing anything on the display?
The Flash-ready indicator is red and when I manually press it, the flash does go off. Yes, the speedlight does show information on the LCD screen. It seems that the D810 is just not triggering the speedlight to go off but I don't know where to check that.

Bill16

Then it sounds like a settings issue, and nothing really major! Thank goodness! But others will be of better help since I'm not really knowledgeable about flash/camera settings even though I use flash quite often!
I hope you'll solve this issue soon! :)

2Charlie

Thanks, Bill for your input. If it's a hardware issue, I think I'm still under the 30 day warranty from Best Buy. I was using the flash for a whole three hours graduation commencement but then when I took off the flash, I forgot to turned it off. The flash must have automatically went into standby mode. I don't think this would cause the flash/camera to malfunction. I did put four new fully charged battery in and still the flash won't go off but as I've said before, if I manually press the flash-ready indicator button, the flash does go off.

Bill16

One other check I would suggest trying, is to darken the room and try the flash on the camera again to see if it works then. I doubt it is hardware, but some settings won't fire flash unless flash and or camera deem it needed. Also in handling the flash off camera while still on, you may have possibly changed the settings from the stock auto flash settings.

Thanks, Bill for your input. If it's a hardware issue, I think I'm still under the 30 day warranty from Best Buy. I was using the flash for a whole three hours graduation commencement but then when I took off the flash, I forgot to turned it off. The flash must have automatically went into standby mode. I don't think this would cause the flash/camera to malfunction. I did put four new fully charged battery in and still the flash won't go off but as I've said before, if I manually press the flash-ready indicator button, the flash does go off.

2Charlie

Stupid me, for some reason, I accidentally turned off the flash in my camera. I pressed the flash button and turn the dial to flash and it works perfectly fine now. Many thanks for the input. I'd appreciated.

WayneF

Stupid me, for some reason, I accidentally turned off the flash in my camera. I pressed the flash button and turn the dial to flash and it works perfectly fine now. Many thanks for the input. I'd appreciated.

That is the very best possible solution. :)

RocketCowboy

Nothing stupid at all. It's not the first, and won't be the last time a setting gets accidentally changed. ;)