Serene Mamma To Be

Jazbean

I did a maternity shoot for my sister-in-law. I know it doesn't accentuate her growing belly but this is still one of my favourites form the shoot. She is sitting in some very tall grass. These photos were taken on an abandoned property that is very special to my brother. Let me know what you would have done to make this photo better.

beauty.jpg

Taken on a Nikon D7100 with a 50mm 1.8D lens.

Last edited:

Pretzel

Since ya put it in the "critique" section... perhaps position her on a stool or something so her growing belly is accentuated. After all, it's supposed to be a maternity pic, not just a portrait in tall grass, and a stool could show off both the growing baby AND the cherished property. Also, not sure of what the lighting situation was, but it looks like she's squinting? Perhaps getting your model looking in a direction that wouldn't be so bright/harsh would be better...

The exposure is nice enough, but sure would love to see those eyes gleaming over the curve of that "bun in the oven". :D

For the record, I *HATE* critiquing, but at times I'm moved to do so simply in the desire to help someone improve. We all start somewhere, and the only way to go is GROW, right?

Last edited:

Woodyg3

Contributor
I agree with Pretzel, and would add that I would crop tighter on top, there's too much space over her head IMO.

Looks like sharp focus on her face, and exposure seems right on.

Moab Man

Tighter crop. She looks dwarfed and you're showing me too much background scenery drawing my attention to what's going on in the background.

Pregnancy shot should show me pregnancy.

Eyes, if she is always squinting then there is nothing you can do about that.

Necklace is coming down between the breasts and circling her left breast and going up under the hair. I would like to have seen symmetry of the necklace coming down between or atop of the breasts.

If you intend to print this the exposure will have to come up a bit. On a screen where you have illumination you will always have shadows and darker colors look just fine. However, when printed, without the illumination of the screen her face will be darker than you want.

On the crop, and you have to do what you like, but I would have either...

1. I put her left eye on the third vertical line and her mouth on the third horizontal line. (don't like this crop... too tight on her left)
beauty_.jpg

2. Or you could put an eye running up the center line and I have her mouth running across the top third line. (my preference)
beauty_2.jpg

Both crops get rid of unneeded distracting space above her head and clearly puts the focus on her - she's not lost in the photo.

Anyway, that's my two cents for what it's worth.

After the fact edit - an additional cent. She doesn't look pleasant. Not everyone can smile. What I often use, and it works great with kids that can't smile or do the goofy look, I have my victim tell me a joke. I then start firing away. At some point in there I will capture something naturally pleasant or looks happy.

Heading back out of my post again leaving my three cents behind.

Last edited:

wud

I like the image :) But she has a lot of green color in her face (reflection from grass) - if you use Lightroom, you can go all the way to the bottom in develop mode, and change the hue (very last slider) to adjust it.

I would also like a little more light on her face.

Sent from Tapatalk

10 Gauge

It'd be nice to see some fill flash, maybe off camera left from a softbox, just to brighten her face up a bit and make it more of a focal point. Otherwise I like the image.