Use Android smartphone as a remote controler

lepiallou

UPDATE 11/17/2011 : with Time Lapse possibilities now !!!

I guess that most of you already heard about transforming your iPhone into a remote controler for DSLR. So here is the application to do the same with any android phone.
This can work with any Nikon DSLR using IR for remote control.

To use this application you need to have a IR dongle for your phone. It's easy to create some tutorial : here or here
I developed it for my HTC Desire

This application allows to do simple shot, long exposure shot (using the bulb mode) and makes it easier to calculate the time to have a correct exposition in bulb mode.

So the first screen is to release the trigger a single time, using the exposition parameters of the camera. Easy press the "shoot" button :

screen1.JPG

The second sreen allows the long exposure using the bulb mode. The principle is simple : a signal is sent to open the shutter and a second signal after the choosen time to close it :

screen2.JPG

The third screen is used to calculate the correct exposure time in the bulb mode. To do so enter the paramteres given by your camera, using the biggest diaphragme aperture and the highest iso and select the aperture and iso you want to use for your final picture and press calculate.

screen3.JPG

Finaly the last screen is giving some small explanation on how to use but will probably change to some new feature (when I find some interesting one)...

If you are in Europe this might not work. Simply because of the sound limitation of your phone. To remove this limitation there are some applications on the market...

Any comment or recommendation considering this application is always welcome. And if you have any idea of some more features that could be usefull share it and I will see what I can do...

You can find the .apk here

Last edited:

Mike150

I guess this means I have to add an iPhone to my NAS list. These new fangled phones are gonna kill me. My phone knows how to make calls and receive calls. All I need is to find one with a dial.

lepiallou

Well it's true that bleutooth would allow to send much more informations and so to have control of all the settings of the camera. Not only shoot :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
There are some bluetooth addon modules out there but it looks like they are only for hooking the camera up to gps for geotagging.

lepiallou

I can see on the stats of my website that many people are still downloading the app... But I don't see any comments

Please let some comment if you think the app the usefull (or not )

Last edited:

StringThing

This is awesome! Thanks for your efforts. I would have tried this already except my D3100 doesn't have any IR capabilities. D7000 probably coming in the new year, I'll give it a whirl then.

Does anyone know what the app similar to this for iPhone is? :)

There is one, however I do NOT recommend it. It's from OnOne software, and it NEVER performs as advertised. Every time I've tried to use it, either the remote or computer side is a different (and incompatible) version of the software, and needs to be updated. The only thing OnOne can do is try to spam me with their software...which given this ($30) piece of garbage, I'd have to assume the rest isn't worth spending my money on.