Two boats

Felisek

I saw these two derelict boats by the side of the road on Isle of Mull and I immediately new I had to stop to take a few pictures. Within minutes there were four cars squeezed in a tiny lay bay, with everyone getting out and taking pictures. It seems to be a major tourist attraction!

Here are two takes, two different lenses and two interpretations.

1MG_5707.jpg

1MG_5715.jpg

Martialdog

Brilliant! Can I ask if you tend to stick on -1.33EV as a rule when taking photos with the 7100 as I know a guy who does something similar with portraits

jherring002

I really like the 2nd myself, but I think they are both excellent shots.

Brilliant! Can I ask if you tend to stick on -1.33EV as a rule when taking photos with the 7100 as I know a guy who does something similar with portraits
How do you see the exif data? Is this possible on tapatalk?

Blacktop

I like the first one, but the second one is nice as well.. Depends on your taste. I don't mind dramatic clouds, unless they're over done.

Felisek

Not as a rule. However, matrix metering, which I usually use, tends to expose the main subject properly, sometimes leaving bright clouds blown out. I always review the picture on camera's screen and check for blown out areas. If this happens, I correct down and take another picture. Usually, it is enough to do -0.3 EV, but occasionally I need to go down more, like in this example. Often I forget about the correction I left on and have long series of pictures with -0.3 EV exposure compensation...

An alternative approach is to set the camera to manual and spot metering, measure the clouds and decide the exposure. I found the retrospective checking and corrections easier.

Martialdog

Ah, as a newbie, I'm just learning about the difference between metering. I've got like 3 manuals infront of me as we speak! any tips are most welcome! :D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I like both but the second one really grabs my attention. :) The sky almost gives the impression that you zoomed although you didn't.

So what is the dark strip at the very top of the first image? Is that from how you finished the edges of the photos? To me it is distracting. The edges of the second photo look better. :D