55-300 or 70-300 ?

Toppers

I am looking at either 55-300 or the 70-300 as I have got a safari booked for sepetmber either of these be any good for it. beginner here BTW :)

Rick M

Re: Testing out the 55-300mm

Toppers- It would help to know what equipment you already have to give you more meaningful advice. They are both very good lenses. The 55-300 is for DX only, while the 70-300 can be used on full-frame also. If you have a dx camera and say a 18-55 already, the 55-300 is the most common choice, if you don't plan on going to a full frame camera. The 70-300 (VR) is generally considered a higher quality lens, but it will cost you about $200 more. Personally, my primary everyday lens is a 16-85, so I am planning on getting the 70-300 someday, I don't care for the 55mm cut off.

Rick M

sorry,

getting a D3100 at the end of the month brand new....

Assuming you get the kit with the 18-55, "most people" would opt for the 55-300. It is important to think ahead (unless you have a ton of money) when it comes to lenses, If your everday lense is not a 18-55 (or don't care about a gap in focal lengths) 70-300 VR could be a better long term investment (between those two choices).

Curt

I have the 70-300mm. and it is a fantastic lens, it cost a bit more but it is well worth it.
Remember on the D3100 (cropped sensor) it will be a 105-450mm. So you will be able to get up real close on that Safari
(which I am sure you want).

Curt

Toppers- It would help to know what equipment you already have to give you more meaningful advice. They are both very good lenses. The 55-300 is for DX only, while the 70-300 can be used on full-frame also. If you have a dx camera and say a 18-55 already, the 55-300 is the most common choice, if you don't plan on going to a full frame camera. The 70-300 (VR) is generally considered a higher quality lens, but it will cost you about $200 more. Personally, my primary everyday lens is a 16-85, so I am planning on getting the 70-300 someday, I don't care for the 55mm cut off.

You will love the 70-300mm. AF-S VR lens. I got mine a few months ago and it is fantastic, well worth the money.
I have the 55-200 VR. (selling it) and the 70-300mm is so much better.

Curt

Oh, sorry. You don't have your location listed? if you get any of these lenses I would make sure they had VR you will be thankful in the long run. If you get the 18-55mm. (btw I just bought) you could go the 55-200mm route.
But if you are going on a Safari you are going to want to get up really close to those animals...lol.
The 70-300mm will really do the job, and in a long term investment a much better lens.
I first got the 55-200mm VR, now I am selling it. The 70-300mm is so much better, trust me you won't be sorry putting out the extra cash. I wish I would have right from the start. But live & learn...lol.

fotojack

fripple

I shot some for the first time this weekend with my 55-300. I really like this lens and I think its a really sharp lens. I'm going to test it out soon on the water with a friend wakeboarding. Overall I'm very happy with this lens.

Mike150

I went by a local camera store today. Talking with the clerk, I've decided on August 1 or so I'll have enough to buy either one. Since my inventory of "Fast" lenses is so low (none), I decided that for about the same money I can get the 55-300 AND a 50mm f1.8.

While there, I noticed his newest display a D7000. We got it out of the case, and I was allowed to mess around with it. I think I've fallen in lust!!!! My next priority is to save up enough to buy one. I figure with my Overtime schedules, plus my end of the year bonus, I might have enough by my birthday in January.

NAS strikes again.

Curt

Mike, I have had my D7000 for about half a year now and it is a fantastic camera body.
I have a D200 (which I love) & a D80 and it just leaves them in the dust...lol.

I would wait and get the Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR lens. You will not be sorry.
I am not saying the 55-300mm. is not good (I have never used one)But I must say the 70-300mm is without question worth every penny.