Prints

tea2085

Hey guys, Okay, you shoot raw and then do your post processing. Now, probably many of you have state of the art printers and you simply print your photos. I don't have a decent printer and no money to invest in one right now. What can I do to get my post processed photos in print form? Paul

Fred Kingston

Local CVS Pharmacy, Sam's, Walmart, Walgreen's... go on-line, upload your photos, and your photos are usually ready within an hour for pickup...

RocketCowboy

Local CVS Pharmacy, Sam's, Walmart, Walgreen's... go on-line, upload your photos, and your photos are usually ready within an hour for pickup...

Yup, all those work, as well as the dedicated companies like White House, Nations, Mpix, etc. Can't go wrong with Costco or Sams/Walmart from what I've heard. Definitely not for the price.

Fred Kingston

Yes... You basically create an account in their web sites Photo Print Department, and designate a specific store near you... They all have a cart type shopping basket where you select the sizes and options you want, upload your jpgs to their site... you can usually specify whether you want them mailed... or you'll pick them up... Their software will guide you thru the process... Depending on the options you select, and what's available at your specified store, most of them offer a 1 hour service...

Bill16

Yep I use nations photo lab and they do very well but I doubt they have the best prices! Lol But I have yet to get a bad or poor print or backing! :)
So I just stick to them since I don't get a lot of prints anyway! :D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I've used Walmart for their poster printing. The poster printer they use is the same one my local camera shop uses. However, for regular sized prints, 5x7, 8x10, etc, Walmart uses a different printer and different paper than what my local camera store uses. Walmart's paper seems to be thinner with a matte finish--not my preference for photos.

Pretzel

Dunno about you, but Sam's and/or Walmart BUTCHER prints around here, and Walgreen's isn't much better for shots over 4x6. Costco has decent print services, or an online merchant like Nations or MPIX would be my recommendation. I personally use Nations and love what I get, especially for the comparable cost, and their sales are FANTASTIC! I can also personally attest to the high quality of their customer service.

Sam's... BLEGH! @FredKingston, you made me shudder at just the thought!

Fred Kingston

It's a very localized process... There's one Sam's here (out of the 3 within 5 miles) that has a woman that's been there for several years...and she's very good. The other 2 stores don't know how to produce an 8X12... which isn't in their menu... There's one photo store in 3 counties... and they haven't heard of "same day service" yet, and probably never will... 8X12 at Sam's is $1.58... Same photo at the photo store, last week was $8, and took 3 days... Most of the college's photo programs here require weekly projects... Without paying crazy handling fees, I can't get Nations' turn around times to make the weekly deadlines... Walgreens and CVS are the same way... very fast turn around, but you have to find a store with employees that know how to run the machines, and are conscientious...

Pretzel

whatever service you pick, check what they recommend for files sizes for the different print sizes.

Good suggestion. Also, if using a local "non-specialized" merchant, make sure you tell them to turn off color correction. If you've done all the editing, you want a "clean" print.