Auto Focus calibration

canuck257

Is there a way to check and calibrate the Auto Focus on the D5300? It appears to me that objects are in focus through the viewfinder but images are coming out soft. This happens with all of my lenses. Of course it could just be my old eyes or my lack of experience with the camera, but I would like to be sure.

I don't know for sure about the D5300 but in the past the D7000 was to lowest camera that had fine tuning of the lenses.

Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG? If RAW then you will need to sharpen in Post. If JPEG then there is a setting in your camera that you need to adjust the sharpening. If you are shooting in RAW the following will have no effect on your sharpness.

If you are shooting JPG I would suggest that you use the Fine>>Large setting and also set your camera for better sharpness.

Go into your Menus and highlight the "Shooting" menu (the camera icon)

Drop down to "Picture Controls" and click right one time.

From here, highlight "Standard" and then click right one time.

From this settings menu, increase the "Sharpness" setting to "7".

Drop down and increase the "Saturation" setting +1 notch on the slider.

Press "OK" to exit the menus and you're done.

Horoscope Fish

Is there a way to check and calibrate the Auto Focus on the D5300? It appears to me that objects are in focus through the viewfinder but images are coming out soft. This happens with all of my lenses. Of course it could just be my old eyes or my lack of experience with the camera, but I would like to be sure.
In short, no... The D5xxx series does not support AF Fine Tuning.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I can guarantee the D5300 does not have AF Fine Tuning option. That's why I shoot so many out of focus shots. Ha! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

mikew_RIP

A couple of questions,ime a filter user but only good ones,if you have filters on and they are cheap try without them,are you set to focus priority not release.

canuck257

I don't know for sure about the D5300 but in the past the D7000 was to lowest camera that had fine tuning of the lenses.

Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG? If RAW then you will need to sharpen in Post. If JPEG then there is a setting in your camera that you need to adjust the sharpening. If you are shooting in RAW the following will have no effect on your sharpness.

If you are shooting JPG I would suggest that you use the Fine>>Large setting and also set your camera for better sharpness.

Go into your Menus and highlight the "Shooting" menu (the camera icon)

Drop down to "Picture Controls" and click right one time.

From here, highlight "Standard" and then click right one time.

From this settings menu, increase the "Sharpness" setting to "7".

Drop down and increase the "Saturation" setting +1 notch on the slider.

Press "OK" to exit the menus and you're done.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already done this as you suggested in a previous in answer to another question I posted. I'm shooting in RAW and jpg Fine Large.

Last edited: