Perfect Effects

tea2085

Since my camera is in the shop I have been toying with some of the editing programs. I did well on a picture in my trial version but when I save it, it goes to the original folder and just says 005 copy copy.PSD
When I try to open the pic, it asks me "what device" I want to use to open the file. My question is - what device do I need? Thanks, Paul

aced19

PSD is a Photoshop file. You need Photoshop to open it. Next time you save a file use "save as" and choose the file you want to save it as ex. jpg.

tea2085

Ace19- seems it doesn't give the option "save as", only save and close and then saves to original folder and then the program closes. Thanks for your time!! Paul

Krs_2007

Ace19- seems it doesn't give the option "save as", only save and close and then saves to original folder and then the program closes. Thanks for your time!! Paul

Look in your preferences, you should be able to change the default from PSD to DNG/JPG. Should be under Files tab, at least it is in the Suite. Change File Format from PSD to JPG.

Although, Effects should be able to open up the file, which is interesting.

tea2085

Aced and Krs, Got it!! Thanks for your time. Paul

user-offline.png

tea2085

On second thought I don't get it. In the trial version the file formats I have an option for are PSD (supports layers), TIFF (no layer support) and JPEG (no layer support). PSD does not save a viewable photo without a device, which leaves the choice of TIFF or JPEG. Does the Color Space setting play a roll in this? Paul

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

On second thought I don't get it. In the trial version the file formats I have an option for are PSD (supports layers), TIFF (no layer support) and JPEG (no layer support). PSD does not save a viewable photo without a device, which leaves the choice of TIFF or JPEG. Does the Color Space setting play a roll in this? Paul
I'm confused. What is it you're trying to do, exactly? I mean, if you're not using Photoshop to process, I'm unclear on why you care about saving to PSD? And no, your choice of color space doesn't have anything to do with this.

You have a RAW file, which is not an image file, it's a data-file used to create an image file (and color is a function of the output device, but that's really not relevant here). Once you're done processing your RAW file, and assuming you want to save it as an image-file, then it needs to be converted to an image-file format and Perfect Effects is giving you some choices for how you do that: You can save your RAW as a TIFF, an uncompressed image-file format or you can save it as a JPG, a compressed image-file format or as a PSD which is a kind of proprietary format used by Phototshop that preserves your work in stages, for lack of a better way to put it. But since you don't have Photoshop this option shouldn't really be of any concern to you.

Maybe you're confused that you can't save your RAW files as a RAW file? If that's the case that's because, again, a RAW file is data; it's the digital information, the 1's and 0's your digital camera captured. It's not a "picture" yet, it only becomes a picture when it's saved *as* a JPG or TIFF (for example). That's the conversion: from "raw" data to "picture"; from RAW to JPG (or TIFF).

Last edited:

tea2085

Fish, I don't want to save to PSD- my pictures would not show up once returned to the folder. It seemed to be a default option. So Krs suggested a preference of DNG/JPG but that is not offered, at least in the trial version. So I listed what options that are offered and if "no layer support" limits what I can do and which offering would be the best option for me, with choices of TIFF, PSD and JPG. Thanks for defining what TIFF and JPG do- what does "no layering support mean"?

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Fish, I don't want to save to PSD- my pictures would not show up once returned to the folder. It seemed to be a default option. So Krs suggested a preference of DNG/JPG but that is not offered, at least in the trial version. So I listed what options that are offered and if "no layer support" limits what I can do and which offering would be the best option for me, with choices of TIFF, PSD and JPG. Thanks for defining what TIFF and JPG do- what does "no layering support mean"?
You want to save your processed RAW files as JPG's:
2015-05-15 17_35_03-Free Screencapture.jpg

Don't worry about Layers. When, and if, you ever start to use Photoshop THEN you'll need to learn about layers.

For now, it's simple: Process your RAW files and convert them to JPG.

tea2085

Thanks Fish, you are one great guy. I love the advice you have given now and in the past. I need things to be simplified and you did that. Thanks for your time!! Paul