Upgrade from D7000 to D750

joekel

Hi everyone I am looking to upgrade from my D7000 to the D750. I have the cash for the D750 body not the kit 24-120f4 .So I am wondering if I should sell my DX equipment (I love my D7000 but would like to move to full frame) or would I be able to keep some of my lenses and forget the D750 kit lens. Here is a list of my current lens line up Nikon 18-105, Nikon DX 35mm 1.8G, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Sigma 105 macro and Sigma 1.4 teleconverter.

Horoscope Fish

Hi everyone I am looking to upgrade from my D7000 to the D750. I have the cash for the D750 body not the kit 24-120f4 .So I am wondering if I should sell my DX equipment (I love my D7000 but would like to move to full frame) or would I be able to keep some of my lenses and forget the D750 kit lens. Here is a list of my current lens line up Nikon 18-105, Nikon DX 35mm 1.8G, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Sigma 105 macro and Sigma 1.4 teleconverter.
Your Nikon 50mm f/1.8D and Sigma 70-200mm are full-frame lenses, so you're good with at least those two and, having recently having gone from a DX body to the D750 myself, my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 are the two lenses I find myself using the most (by far). You will have the option of using your DX glass on your D750, however, in what's called "Crop Mode". You'll see a grey rectangle in the viewfinder that indicates the actual "frame" you will be shooting (this happens automatically when a DX lens is attached) so you *can* use DX glass on an FX body. This sounds like a good deal and, in reality, I'd have to say it is... But I quickly found it frustrating and annoying and in all honesty I couldn't get proper FX glass on my D750 fast enough.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure your Sigma 105mm is a "DG" lens, yes? If that's the case, it too is an FX lens...

Last edited:

Bill16

After what my buddy Paul said I would say upgrade then later sell off what your wide angle DX lenses and buy something to fill that need in FX! I don't have that sigma 105mm macro, but my Nikkor 105mm micro is a FX lens so maybe yours is too?
Anyway Congrats on getting ready to upgrade! I upgraded to the D800e and I'm loving it! Woohoo!!! Lol :D

Last edited:

J-see

It depends on what you shoot if selling the DX is a good idea or not.

I upgraded to FX last year and now got another DX simply for the reach in macro and wildlife. I considered getting a 1.4x TC but a DX was a more logical solution.

If you don't shoot anything that requires reach, you won't be using the DX a lot once you get the D750 but if you shoot birds, you'll find DX handy for certain shots.

singlerosa_RIP

I bought my D7000 about 4 years ago to replace a D100 and accumulated a variety of DX and FX glass. When I bought a D600 a couple years back, I sold all DX lenses and now use the D7000 for macro (better DOF) and for reach (as stated by others) with a 70-300. Also use it on occasion when I need a 1/8000 shutter speed. Other than that, I've found that full frame and FX lenses provide noticeably better IQ. And, the 750 kicks ass over the 600/610 in terms of low light focusing and low noise at high ISO. Good luck; you're gonna love the 750.

joekel

Wolfeye
That's why I'm looking for advice. I love the D7000. I would like to upgrade and thought that the progression would be FF. Would the D7200 be considered an upgrade or a side step. Could you give me your reasons for staying DX. Thanks

J-see

Wolfeye
That's why I'm looking for advice. I love the D7000. I would like to upgrade and thought that the progression would be FF. Would the D7200 be considered an upgrade or a side step. Could you give me your reasons for staying DX. Thanks

I have the D7200 and the D750 and I can tell you that besides reach, the D7200 is no match for the D750. The D7200 is a good cam, it's not that but there's a reason you pay twice the money for the D750.

Last edited:

Wolfeye

Wolfeye

Ok, well, first off, the term "upgrade" means many things to many people. Full frame (FF), in and of itself is not an upgrade. There are many reasons FF is an upgrade but it isn't an upgrade just because Nikon, or the majority of folks here, say it is. It all comes down to what you are looking to improve.

In the beginning, sensors were so expensive to produce that camera companies introduced the idea of cropped sensors as a compromise in quality and cost. Everyone nodded and said ok, because they were anxious to ditch their film cameras for digital. Instant gratification wins every time.

The D7000 has a 16meg image sensor, the D750 has a 24meg. The pixels are roughly the same size. You're not going to get a huge difference in native image quality other than the different way the 750 processes the pixels. If you do a lot of work with telephoto lenses you'll lose the 1.5x crop factor, which means you'll need to crop D750 files to about 16meg to get equivalent views - or buy longer lenses.

Note, I'm ultimately not advocating against the D750, I'm arguing against any new camera without justification, because you think your current camera is obsolete. What does upgrade mean to you? What is it that your D7000 doesn't do for you? If you just want to try something new, and have the money, then the D750 will meet that criterion. If you just think you should upgrade because your camera's 6 years old (or however old it is) then I think you're better off with what you have. If you want to try FF and see if it better meets your needs, then you can buy a film body for a hundred bucks and shoot/scan a few rolls of film.

Bill16

I'm sorry I thought you were joking, since it seemed a bit rude but had a smilie. I didn't realize you really feel that way. I'll leave it to you and the OP to discuss, and maybe you'll be a big help to him! :)

Yet another soul sucked into the "FF Upgrade" delusion... :)

Last edited:

J-see

There's more to it than pixels but in the end, it depends upon what he values for his money.

The D7000's pixel pitch is 4.8 micron while the D750 is 5.9 which translates into a more accurate signal = less signal noise to start with. The conversion and amplification of that signal is also much cleaner which all translates into better image quality. The D750 has more dynamic range, better tonal range and more color sensitivity and although it's between 0.5 and 1 bit depending which, 1 bit implies twice as many.

Focus is more accurate and faster, ISO performance better...

In the end it's all about how much you value what. You can take perfectly good shots with any cam but good is a very relative description and we all have a different version.

Horoscope Fish

I have the D7200 and the D750 and I can tell you that besides reach, the D7200 is no match for the D750. The D7200 is a good cam, it's not that but there's a reason you pay twice the money for the D750.
While I don't know if going full-frame is necessarily an upgrade, per se, I'm definitely glad I made The Switch and I concur with the above sentiment: The D750 is simply amazing to shoot with. Could I be happy shooting with my D7100 full time? Sure, I just did for a couple of weeks, only came back to my D750 a few days ago and I have no intention of letting go of my D7100 any time soon. Shooting DX definitely has it's place and image quality is quite good.

All that being said, shooting with the D750 is amazing. Flat... Out... Amazing.

Last edited:

joekel

Wolfeye, Thanks for the response I understand what you are saying about upgrading. When I first got the D7000 I took a beginners DSLR class at the local community college, the instructor had a D700 and a D100. Some of the images from the D100 were amazing! I like the idea that many have posted about keeping their DX and adding FX to their equipment. Maybe I should look at some new glass!!

Bill16

This is what I did, and recommend most! Going with both FX and DX gives you the best of both worlds! Though for me to do that now really, I'd need to upgrade to a higher tech DX since my D800e will out do my D300 in DX abilities! But I'm reluctant to upgrade my DX, since I can get what I need simply with the D800e! I don't shoot birds much at all, so the D300 or D800e will take care of all my DX needs! :)
That and I have my D700 as my second FX, so I think I'm set for now anyway!

But using both DX and FX is the way to go, and is what I would do in your place! :)

Wolfeye, Thanks for the response I understand what you are saying about upgrading. When I first got the D7000 I took a beginners DSLR class at the local community college, the instructor had a D700 and a D100. Some of the images from the D100 were amazing! I like the idea that many have posted about keeping their DX and adding FX to their equipment. Maybe I should look at some new glass!!

Wolfeye

Interesting that you mention the D100 - it's my in-the-car camera (at least in Spring and Fall when it's not too hot/cold) and I used it just last weekend. I am happy with the images it produces, but I can say that for all my cameras. I do in fact have a couple of FF cameras other than film, a Canon 1Ds Mark III and a Canon 6D. I use the 1Ds Mk III with a long lens and teleconverter and I use the 6D for low light, high-ISO shots. I compared the latter to the Nikon D750 but to my eyes, the low light performance was similar and the 6D was a thousand dollars cheaper.

I have two systems with regard to buying cameras. Some, I keep so long, because I love them, that they lose nearly all their value and I end up keeping them forever because I won't sell them for pennies on the dollar. Other cameras simply don't trip my trigger and get sold within a few months. You don't need a reason to get a new camera, obviously; it is your money! I'm far too guilty of buying the latest and greatest when it gets within my price range, but by then it's no longer the latest and greatest. :) Nikon seems to be stubborn about their prices so it's hard to get them at a discount, but Pentax is a free fall 6 months after release.

GumaRodak

I had D7000 with 17-55. Great combo in my opinion. I upgraded to D750 and used shortly with the lens. The lens was working fine fron 24mm upwards. But decided to not limit my FF body with DX lenses and DX crop modes. I didnt spend 2K € to be limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk