Shutter not working

starbird

Was shooting with power pack and head, synch cord to pack. Suddenly the shutter was not firing. Changed the synch cord twice, still not firing. Removed the synch and tried to fire it at the wall. Nothing.

Could it be a setting I accidentally pressed to prevent the shutter from firing and if so where is it? This camera has not used up it's life... it was used very little over the time I have had it. I'm the original owner.

I can call Nikon tomorrow, but if someone can help me here I would not waste the day and could finish my work.

Thanks.

paul04

Hello,

Maybe remove the battery and memory card.
Then reinsert them, making sure the battery is charged.

You could also try a factory reset, to see if that will fix the problem.

What camera do you have!!

Last edited:

starbird

Hi Paul,

It is a D700. I just removed the battery, the card and put them back... even tried a different card. Plenty of juice in the battery. Nothing.

I vaguely remember something like this happening in Japan and I had no one to go to. When I got home it turned out to be something I had inadvertently set, however, I have no idea what it was... this was years ago.

starbird

Thank you Sparky, but I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the camera. I have used the strobe with this camera for years and years and years and years.

Bill16

Have you tried hitting reset in settings? If it was a setting that caused it, maybe this will fix it. I haven't had my D700 long enough to have come across a setting that would cause this issue.
I hope you'll get it back up and firing again soon! :)

480sparky

Thank you Sparky, but I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the camera. I have used the strobe with this camera for years and years and years and years.

I used my water heater for years and years and years and years. Yet it still sprung a leak. I used a hard drive for years and years and years and years. But it still crashed. I drove a truck for years and years and years and years. Still, the engine stopped working one day.

Unless you know the trigger voltage is safe for the camera, you may have just plain got lucky.

starbird

Shutter count is 8404

I have no way of determining if the voltage is acceptable or not. The strobe has worked with each and every Nikon I have ever had except my first 2. I didn't have the strobe at that time.

starbird

Yes, it is low. I used this one for only certain things. That's why I'm thinking this doesn't make any sense that the shutter should go out.

480sparky

Yes, it is low. I used this one for only certain things. That's why I'm thinking this doesn't make any sense that the shutter should go out.

Remember, the shutter actuating rating is not a guaranteed minimum.

I had a D7000 that crapped out at 17k actuations.

starbird

There are no error messages. I am and have been a Nikon shooter for over 50 hers. I have had several Nikons and never had a shutter go out. Maybe it is, but I would be very upset if that were what's wrong.

480sparky

Is the camera acquiring focus properly? If the camera is set to require focus acquisition and focus is not achieved, everything will seem fine until you want to take the shot.

480sparky

Focus acquisition means the camera must have an in-focus image before the shutter can be released. This is a signal sent from the AF module in the camera, even if you're shooting in manual focus. The camera is usually set to require focus before the shutter can be released, but it can be overridden in the Menus. Perhaps it somehow got changed back to factory default.