Raw + Jpeg

Girevik

Excuse me while I demonstrate my ignorance.

What is the benefit of shooting raw + jpeg? I assumed I had to have jpeg to transfer them to my phone, but found by playing around that's not the case.

Fred Kingston

Jpeg is small, compressed, transportable, limited editing range
RAW is large, uncompressed, slow, not easily transported, unlimited editing range

Byram Lass

I shoot raw + basic cause I can quickly slide through the basics in MS Photo Editor and delete the crap, toggle back and forth between similar images to decide which one is best (and delete the worst) and then deal with processing only the best. Plus basics (when the shot is good) makes it easy to share real quick w/my FB pals. Basically it's a time saver as opposed to just shooting RAW and then loading and trying to determine what to keep/delete via my RAW processor.

aroy

Excuse me while I demonstrate my ignorance.

What is the benefit of shooting raw + jpeg? I assumed I had to have jpeg to transfer them to my phone, but found by playing around that's not the case.

jpeg is to get the images out of the camera and post them fast - whether to FB or to your client. Most sports and wedding photographers use jpeg where the images are needed immediately and the display will be small -less than 3 MP.

RAW is used for better control of the exposures and fine tweaking to get best out of the image, especially if you are printing them big. Then there are situations when you need to recover shadows or highlights.

So if you need the images immediately for posting you shoot jpeg. If you want to post process them to extract maximum quality you shoot RAW. If bulk of the images are required for fast posting and a few for post processing you shoot RAW+jpeg. Then select what you want to PP, and delete the rest of the RAW, keeping the jpeg.

Martialdog

Yeah, RAW is so much better if you really want to recover a shot that's just gone wrong, especially is photoshop. JPEG is basically, click and post. You can do a bit to it in PS but no where near as much as in RAW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk