Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.8g vs. AF 50mm f1.8d

Jon

Hey guys,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the big difference bet the new 50 mm 1.8g and the 50 mm 1.8d is the g has an internal motor. I have a D7000, which has an autofocus body, would it auto focus a 1.8d lens? If yes, would it still be practical to spend for a 1.8g, which has a price difference of almost $100.00 compared to a 1.8d? Will there be significant improvement in the bokeh?

I have no 50mm prime lens yet so hopefully I could buy it soon. Thanks for your help!!!

Joseph Bautsch

The big difference is in the speed of focus. The G lens with a built in focus motor will auto focus much faster than the D lens with the focus motor in the body. If you shoot a lot of action shots with fast moving subjects then I would get the G lens. Both lenses have the same "glass" and both will produce the same quality photos.

Curt

Well I have the 50mm.1.8 d lens,I paid about $100.00 for it. It is a great lens
Very sharp focus and works great on the d7000. You can save yourself some money by going with the d lens. The d7000 has a motor,so it works fine.
I have a d7000 myself and it great with this lens.

Jon

I would love to get the G lens but my wife would kill me for sure. I'll have to sacrifice the speed and go for the D lens. Thanks, Joseph and Curt for the advice.

megan.e.arlitz

I am too at a loss at which one to get. I hear good things about both, and bad things about because of the Focus thing. So the G is just as good as the D?