Thoughts?

Jazbean

DSC_1023effectsunglow.jpg
Camera: Nikon D7100
Exposure: 1/1,600 @ f2.8
ISO: 250
Focal Length: 50
Lens: Nikkor 50mm 1.8D

I would like to one day be a professional photographer and am currently using my son for practice. I took this the other day under a tree. I added the sun glow in using picmonkey.com Does it work with this photo? What would you do to make this photo better?

Last edited by a moderator:

480sparky

The patches of grass, the blown-out highlights, the tree and the structure in the background are way too distracting to me. My eye wandered around before "Hey, there's a baby there!" hit me.

Jazbean

DSC_1023.jpg
I agree about the distracting background. This was the original. Perhaps I should have had this one critiqued instead to get a better idea.

480sparky

Move the camera up 6 to 8 inches,and crop in to a vertical frame with the baby taking most of it up, and you'd have a winner.

nikonpup

DSC_1023.jpg
something like this - the light & dark behind his head is a distraction...but now you can focus on the cute kid much better.
Keep practicing and posting.

fotojack

I agree with all the above comments on your shot. While nice, it needed a little correction of the blown out areas, as mentioned. What I would have done is used an off camera flash (OCF) focused on your son. After all, he is the star attraction of this shot, right? :)

View attachment 155483